Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alternative chest seal?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    double post
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 11-19-10 at 06:49.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Sounds like a good class. You can learn a lot in a day. As far as using dedicated commercial products I would argue that it's irresponsible not to unless you just can't get them. Class 8 has progressed a lot even in just the last 5 years. A kit with some combat gauze, SOF tourniquets, and Halo seals is 300% better than an old combat lifesaver bag with a bunch of field dressings. Celox applicators are great too. The new stuff isnt that expensive, there's no reason noy to use it.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 11-19-10 at 06:50.

Feedback Score
    I've used a space blanket before.

Feedback Score
    I know this post is kind of old but I felt the need to give my .o2. I stand by the Hyfen 110%! When I order or Class 8 that is the only chest seal I worry about ordering. The adhesive on it does is incredible and the seal will adhere even when wet(which usually is the case... blood). I like the flap idea on the Halo so you can burp it, but you really should do NCD's for temporary relief and the patient will most likely eventually need a chest tube. But for NCD's N.A.R.P.'S ARS needle is great. It's just the length and guage you need and it comes in a small pen shaped protective case that prevents it from being menipulated in any way during storage. I stand by pretty much anything and everything North American Rescue makes all day long.
    Thank you for listening

Feedback Score
    I almost forgot, If you don't have money or really feel the need to order any high speed chest seals, I have the habbit of cutting the brown case MRE's come in in two pieces and just pairing that with some 3" tape for a make shift chest seal. You have a big enough surface to cover most pentrating chest trauma and it's nice and thick.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Any occlusive dressing is fine, including the plastic wrap from you various bandages. Don't forget to leave one side untaped, or at least burp the dressing every so often. A penetrating injury means there's likely a visceral injury in addition to the chest wall. Just occluding the chest wound and forgetting about it means you may create and miss a tension pneumothorax, especially if using positive pressure ventilation. That will kill a patient faster than paradoxical respirations from a sucking chest wound alone.
    I'm over "there" right now, and we have gotten away from teaching the "tape 3 sides". If a "commercial" seal is not available, we are teaching CLS and below just to tape all four sides. Needle decompression is readily available if the signs of Tension Pneumo begin to present.

The thinking is, "a definitive seal is better than taking too long to rig a field expedient seal that may come loose."

You milage may vary. But that is what I have been instructed to teach my guys.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY MEDIC25 View Post
    I almost forgot, If you don't have money or really feel the need to order any high speed chest seals, I have the habbit of cutting the brown case MRE's come in in two pieces and just pairing that with some 3" tape for a make shift chest seal. You have a big enough surface to cover most pentrating chest trauma and it's nice and thick.
    You can never beat MRE packaging. Works like a charm, and hey.... you're promoting recycling.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

E1HARRIS And people think the military isn't environmentally conscious!

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I understand that you're not always going to have a commercial chest seal but relying on tape and plastic is a vastly inferior option. It takes a long time and the tape tends to not stick well. A guy can die faster than you would think not from the tension pneumo but from a heart attack when the mediastinum shifts. I suggest buying two Halo chest seals and keeping them in a first aid kit that you keep with you. Throw it in your trunk when you're driving around and take it into the range with you when you go shooting. Of course put some hem control stuff in there and whatever you think is appropriate. It doesn't have to be huge. I have one that I made out of one of the large size Oakley sunglass cases. If you're a cop or soldier that might get shot in the line of duty I would make sure to have some kind of IFAK and make sure it's marked as such. Make sure your partner or buddy knows where it is and how to use the stuff within.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123