Thread: Adams Arms 5.45x39 Upper

Feedback Score

Adams Arms 5.45x39 Upper

Ok, after going back and reading the threads on the 5.45x39 I have decided to get one. One big reasons is that I can buy 1080 rounds for 128 dollars and can't even reload a 1000 rounds of 223 for the price. Heck, it is about $80 just for 1000 55 fmj bullets for the 223.

Anyways, I have been looking at the new Adams Arms Upper. The company claims all parts that come in contact with the gas are coated in, "Melonited Piston Parts, Barrel, Bolt Carrier, and Flash Hider." (From AdamsArms website). Does this coating really prevent corrosion. I am still going to clean it after even range trip, but it would be good to know that it does prevent corrosion because I live in Florida and shooting the corrosive ammo would speed up the process in this 100% humid enviroment.

Does anyone have any experience with the Adams Arms 5.45x39 upper.

Thanks for the help,
    Adam
    Deputy Sheriff / South Florida

Feedback Score
    Care to divulge your ammo source...pretty good price.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I have one. I have had no problems with the upper; I had an issue with a C-Products mag. that it came with. It comes with an xtra pwr Wolf Spring that I have yet to install, since I had a lot of Silver Bear laying around. When I open up my tins of surplus, I may install the xtra pwr spring.

As far as the finish goes, check out this informative post on vuurwapenblog.com:
    http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/09/13/...y-on-finishes/

I have limited rounds through it, and they werent corrosive, but I will keep you posted.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 5.45x39 upper that was one of the first made by the late Kurt of KKF firearms in Florida. It uses a new Bulgarian 5.45x39 chrome lined barrel, and I opted for a chrome bolt carrier. I was able to procure a non-chrome .221 Genghis bolt from when AA had done these years ago.

Simply by washing out the barrel and cleaning with hot, soapy water I've had NO corrosion and excellent reliability and accuracy. I live in Florida as well and the humidity and heat have had no effect.

Feedback Score
    I had an Adams Arms 5.45 upper, with a DD Lite FSP rail. Extremely high quality. Magazines are a different matter; the one that came with it worked fine, probably because Adams buys in bulk and can weed through and pick out the good ones; however the 12 CP mags I bought for it were all out of spec. ended up ditching the upper for lack of a decent mag.
    I was also turned off a bit by the recoil impulse of the piston system; didnt feel like an AR. Once MGI starts making their AK74 magwells again I may go that route with a S&W upper to get rid of all this 5.45 I have.
    Last edited by BBB; 10-07-10 at 14:55.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Its an interesting concept for training, cheaper ammo = more rounds down range.

If a manufactuer ever gets this dialed in, Id probably be interested in picking one up.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.