• Wilson Combat Tactical Super Grade

51 35.66%
  • Kimber Warrior

44 30.77%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 1911?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Brass View Post
    MIM stuff should hold up easily for 1K rounds.
    My Kimber's have all had thousands upon thousands of rounds through them in IPSC competition and I've yet to have a MIM part fail. As I mentioned to someone the other day, the only part that has failed on my Super Match was a Wilson Combat extended slide stop I tried for a while. I went back to the original MIM part after the Wilson part broke and haven't looked back. YMMV.

That said, I have neither the EB or the WC. I'd love either of them!

Feedback Score
    I've been lucky with two Kimber TLE's (one with and one without the rail). Although I do have to admit that they will be the last Kimbers that I buy from a customer service standpoint. If your not scared away by the price of a Wilson Supergrade you might also want to take a good look at some of the Nighthawk offerings, more specifically the 10-8 model or the Vickers model. I have also had nothing but success with the Springfield Professional, which you can also get with or without the rail, depending on your needs. Out of the ones you listed I would have to say the Wilson. Best of luck.
    1*

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining Brass View Post
    If you don't want to throw down 2G's then you could take my route "shoot the piss out of it and replace the MIM crap as they go".
    What parts are MIM?
    "The great object is that every man be armed. . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun. . . . Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense?" ~ Patrick Henry

"I have just come from Iraq. Now I am here to drink Russian blood," he said with a cheery smile

Free Georgia

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Not to be unkind, but the Kimber really isn't in the same class as the others. Ed Brown offers a fairly standardized pistol of exceptional quality, but there are mixed reports on the service end of things. Wilson offers much the same thing on a slightly expanded scale, but is extremely pleasant to deal with. I'd be pleased to own either the Wilson or the Brown, but my last few semi-custom 1911s have been Wilsons, so you might say I've a vested interest.

Chief

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    Which parts did you have to replace to get rid of MIM on Warrior. I'm thinking about picking up Desert Warrior myself.

Paul

Many companies use MIM and MIM in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, however Kimber had a period with a long string of MIM parts breakage that prompted me to replace the following.

Hammer
    Hammer strut
    Sear
    disconnecter
    slide stop
    firing pin stop
    barrel bushing
    (Kimber did use some MIM extractors as well)
    Thumb safety
    pins
    "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Feedback Score
    Wilson CQB is my choice. Actually looking at the CQB TACTICAL LE currently. It will be my second Wilson.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My choices would be...

1. Ed Brown

2. Wilson

3. Kimber

I agree with those that said that the Kimber is outclassed by the other two.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    My choices would be...

1. Ed Brown

2. Wilson

3. Kimber

I agree with those that said that the Kimber is outclassed by the other two.
    +1. Even though I love my Kimbers (I have three), I would not put them on the same level as an Ed Brown or Wilson. Kimbers are, however, much cheaper than anything either EB or WC makes, if that is a consideration.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tr1290 View Post
    Ed Brown Special Forces

Wilson Combat Tactical Super Grade

Kimber Warrior

I am looking for the one that is the most reliable, most accurate and the maker with the best customer service.
    You are asking us to recommend a 1911 to you out of those three choices that range in MSRP from $1200 to $4000 with the criteria of which is most reliable, most accurate, and best customer service? Really?

You probably need to set a realistic price point and look at comparable 1911's.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    You are asking us to recommend a 1911 to you out of those three choices that range in MSRP from $1200 to $4000 with the criteria of which is most reliable, most accurate, and best customer service? Really?

You probably need to set a realistic price point and look at comparable 1911's.
    I totally agree. I had a Wilson CQB for several years and it worked perfectly with every brand of ammo I shoved thru it. On the other hand I have pushed over 2000rds thru a Kimber Warrior without a bobble. The pistols work equally well they just are not finished to the same degree. For a user the Warrior will work well if you get a good one. When you get above 2K it is mostly about fit and finish IMHO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast