Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shtf Book Suggestions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    I read Patriots and loved it. Subscribing for some others.
    Anyone have a link to Patriots, I may want to check it out.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    Anyone have a link to Patriots, I may want to check it out.
    http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Survi...8076779&sr=8-1

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    I think that last sentence is a great analysis of it over all. Im sure by now you are seeing some of the "swipes" at Patriots that are taking place.
    yep, im just over half done with it. They just got into the fight with the "gang" that came across the perimeter fence and Mark Turner faced down the 4 of them with just his 1911
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    yep, im just over...
    You should add a spoiler alert to your post. Not everyone's read the book or gotten that far along

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Not gonna add details, but Im to a point in the book(3/4 done) where I definitely didn't see the things going on now happening.... very interesting twist, and a damn good book
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok any more suggestions? I'm in the mood for a fiction EOTWAWKI book. Already read Patriots, Lucifer's Hammer, Light's Out, One Second After, Day by Day Armageddon (I & II), Alas Babylon.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah I hit that one too. Im thinking that I have burned through all of the entertaining fiction out there that is worth reading on the subject.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    quarantine, dead city, apocalypse of the dead

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpuncher View Post
    I've read most of the books listed in this thread. While I agree that Rawles' literary abilities are abysmal, I still use Patriots as an introductory book for non-preparedness minded folks. I just tell them it's an idealist checklist disguised as poor fiction, and you better be able to ignore the bible-thumping.....
    The problem is, for a first-timer, I have a feeling it's just going to reinforce the BS about the "evil phsycotic assault rifle toting anti-gov. militant survivalists all hiding out in their bunkers just laying in wait to take potshots at passing hippies and pro-choicers". Or something along those lines. You know what I mean.
    If it were me, I'd start 'em off with something a little more benign, like a general preparedness "how to" guide...

Quote Originally Posted by JCKnife View Post
    ....For kids, something with good survival info and skills without the scary TEOTWAWKI stuff is My Side of the Mountain. My kids and I read it together from time to time.
    Wow. I actually saw the movie that was made of that back when I was a kid. Gave me all sorts of jolly ideas about running off to live in the wild....

Quote Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
    no shit. so i really need to know all about a hippie mailman delivering junk mail to further the story of a comet hitting the earth? or what his beard looks like?
    I'm with you there.
    No I haven't read this particular book, and I get the whole character development thing. But this type of ridiculously in-depth meandering nonsense has ALWAYS pissed me off. Details, yes. But I just don't give a damn about what brand of coffee the character likes, what color tie he wore to work and the minute details of why he picked that specific color, the color of everyones underwear at the office, so forth and so on.
    Blah!

Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Just got Lights out, about 1/3 of the way thru it. At first it felt a little to much like that God awful excuse of a book "Patriots" what with the "Ranch". But now, its a damn good book. Really enjoying it. Alot along the lines of One Second After, just a different part of the country and how that area was effected and how they dealt with it.
    Sounds like another one to add to the pile....
    One second after was really great. I picked it up immediately after hearing about it here, and got so hooked I blew through it in 8 hours or so. A nice change of pace, especially after a certain other book that's been mentioned here...
    Last edited by Jellybean; 05-30-11 at 23:05. Reason: Gosh, I just LOVE smilies....
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast