Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shtf Book Suggestions

Feedback Score
    "Lights out", anyone have a link or the name of the author.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    "Lights out", anyone have a link or the name of the author.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Dav.../dp/0615427359

The hyperlink cuts it short, but the author is David Crawford.
    Last edited by Travis B; 05-31-11 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t42beal13t View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Dav.../dp/0615427359

The hyperlink cuts it short, but the author is David Crawford.
    Thank you, a new one on my list.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    Thank you, a new one on my list.
    Not a problem. You'll definitely enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JCKnife View Post
    For kids, something with good survival info and skills without the scary TEOTWAWKI stuff is My Side of the Mountain. My kids and I read it together from time to time.
    Another book worth looking at for the kiddies is Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. It's the story of a young man surviving a small plane crash up in the wilds of in Canada. I read it as a kid and remember it being pretty good at the time. I believe it won a Newbery book award. There are even some sequels if you kid is a fast reader. Take a look

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141...pf_rd_i=507846

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My Side of the Mountain - wow! Haven't thought about that book in years! I think I'll go try and find it again.
    Read Patriots and mostly agree with others' comments here, although I enjoyed the story as implausible as it was.
    According to Wikipedia (you know, the source of all true and scientific knowledge):
    "Also in April 2009, Rawles announced that he had signed a contract with the Atria and Pocket Books Divisions of Simon & Schuster to write two sequels to Patriots. Rawles described the project: "Unlike traditional sequels, the storylines of these novels will be contemporaneous with the economic collapse and invasion described in the first novel. There will be some overlap of characters, but most of the action will take place in different locales. My goal is to use these two books to write about a lot of different tactics, techniques, and technologies for survival." Release of the two sequels is scheduled for 2010 and 2011.[30]"

Anyone know what the deal is here? I havn't heard anything about sequals.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omega21 View Post
    My Side of the Mountain - wow! Haven't thought about that book in years! I think I'll go try and find it again.
    Read Patriots and mostly agree with others' comments here, although I enjoyed the story as implausible as it was.
    According to Wikipedia (you know, the source of all true and scientific knowledge):
    "Also in April 2009, Rawles announced that he had signed a contract with the Atria and Pocket Books Divisions of Simon & Schuster to write two sequels to Patriots. Rawles described the project: "Unlike traditional sequels, the storylines of these novels will be contemporaneous with the economic collapse and invasion described in the first novel. There will be some overlap of characters, but most of the action will take place in different locales. My goal is to use these two books to write about a lot of different tactics, techniques, and technologies for survival." Release of the two sequels is scheduled for 2010 and 2011.[30]"

Anyone know what the deal is here? I havn't heard anything about sequals.
    Ask and ye shall receive:
    Friday, June 3, 2011
    Notes from JWR:

Starting Sunday June 5th, the new Radio Free Redoubt podcast will begin airing weekly. Please note that this is not my own podcast (so the views expressed do not necessarily reflect my own), but the folks who produce it seem sincere and level-headed. The podcast should provide a great forum for exchanging ideas--both for folks who already live in the American Redoubt, and for those that plan to relocate there.

--

Between now and mid-July, I'm wrapping up the writing of the second sequel to my novel "Patriots". The already-completed first sequel ("Survivors") is scheduled for release in October of 2011, and the second sequel (working title: "Citizens") is scheduled for release in October of 2012.

My follow-on project will be a weighty tome on firearms and other tools for survival. That should be published, Deo Volente, in 2013. So for the next 18 months, a greater portion of my writing in SurvivalBlog will be about tools and firearms. Today's first article is an example.
    This can be found at survivalblog.com

Also, don't buy Lights Out... I have a copy on PDF that I can send for free...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thank you Naxet1959 - Appreciate it!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omega21 View Post
    Thank you Naxet1959 - Appreciate it!
    x2!!
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxet1959 View Post

Also, don't buy Lights Out... I have a copy on PDF that I can send for free...
    C'mon! Support the author and reward him for his efforts to inform us with a great storyline. He took down all the digital copies for a reason. I think most of us can spare a few bucks to buy this book instead of getting a PDF copy for free.

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast