Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shtf Book Suggestions

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    The Enemies Foreign and Domestic trilogy of books

The Road (did not like as well as I thought I would have)

Patriots (lots of tips and suggestions on prepping. The author of this book also has a website, survivalblog.com)

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I will agree, Patriots was kind of stupid. What I did like about the book was how it went with the Economic crisis we have today. Laid out what very well good happen if we continue on the path we are.... other than that it was STUPID
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Patriots was horrible... Unreadable IMO (I couldn't make it halfway through despite my best effort).

One Second After was better but I'm still not a fan.

The Road wasn't bad... Overrated IMO though.

Unfortunately educational and a good read don't go together much in the genre (so far as I've seen).

If you want a good read start with the Day by Day books. Zombies or no, at least the author knows his shit. The Stand isn't bad (although not at all a source for practical knowledge)... Just started The Gunslinger/Dark Tower books (on #2) and I would classify them similar to The Stand so far (only better)... Good reads but not very usefull beyond that.

Have Lucifers Hammer waiting on me now...

Educational?... look for some good manuals. LL's recommendation is good as well.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Lucifer's Hammer is good if you can get past the 70's era stuff. I couldn't the second time around.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm enjoying the Day by Day books, as well. I bought them together and raced through them pretty quickly but have gone back and am taking my time. I generally read for pleasure at night just before bed...real or not, zombies scare the shit out of me.

That's my best friend of 21 years. I'm mentioned in the first book.
    Can you tell me where? Please pass along to Bourne a word of thanks both for the books and his service.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by afff_667 View Post
    I'm enjoying the Day by Day books, as well. I bought them together and raced through them pretty quickly but have gone back and am taking my time. I generally read for pleasure at night just before bed...real or not, zombies scare the shit out of me.

Can you tell me where? Please pass along to Bourne a word of thanks both for the books and his service.
    Day by Day books ive read both they where great books finished both of them in a week i couldnt put them down alot of sleepless nights because i had to know what happened next. I started Reading One Second After last night so far so good.
    DEATH SMILES AT US ALL, ALL WE CAN DO IS SMILE BACK

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by afff_667 View Post

I'm "Shep," the Marine in San Diego. He's working on another novel and I cannot give details out about it.

Feedback Score
    "How to survive the end of the world as we know it: Tactics, techniques and technologies for uncertain times."

Interesting read so far. Just into the first few chapters. It also covers recommended ammo per weapon, water, gardening, food storage, medical supplies/training, survival retreat, etc...
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by l3mon View Post
    Patriots isn't bad, lots of info
    Literary trash. Very religious.
    Agreed. A metric ton load of info. Some of it good, some of it is pure bupkis based on preconceived notions and some of it I am not qualified to comment on. As for the writing; for crying out loud where was the editor on this project? My 9 year old writes better and in a more compelling manner than that.

Another vote for 'One Second After' and 'Lucifer's Hammer' (which I am re-reading now)

Quote Originally Posted by devildogljb View Post
    I started Reading One Second After last night so far so good.
    Let me know when you cry. There is a section of the book that has made every guy I know who read it get misty eyed at the bare minimum.

Feedback Score
    Definitely a little more on the sci-fy end of things but I have really enjoyed:

The Postman by David Brin

The Change Series by SM Sterling (Dies the Fire is the first book)

Both of those were pretty good stories and did a good job of getting me to start thinking about prepping. I have also read most of the above mentioned books and have generally liked and learned from them all.

Not so apocalyptic but I've also enjoyed Alone in the Wilderness by Richard Proenneke (spl?) Neat guy and a good read. For very readable (but a bit dated) general outdoors book I've enjoyed The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher.
    Just a couple of favorites. I'll try and remember some more. Enjoy!

PS: I find it very interesting that so many folks who prep are also big readers. Somehow I find that very comforting and hopeful.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast