Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shtf Book Suggestions

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I'm "Shep," the Marine in San Diego. He's working on another novel and I cannot give details out about it.
    third day by day installment we hope?

id like to add my input just for the hell of it. the first book was fantastic, and the way it read really gave you a feel that you picked up someones journal and started reading. the second book felt more like a regular novel, with chapters broken up into days/journal entries, rather then the typical chapter 1, 2, etc. the sheer length and depth of detail described in every 'day' was simply too much to conceivably be written down in a journal while escaping zombies.

this isnt a bad thing, and i loved reading every second of it. i was just wondering if Bourne wanted to go in a different direction with the second book, ie: novel instead of journal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogljb View Post
    Im looking for good books to read that have to deal with when shtf. Mostly looking for fictional books that tell a good story but you can still learn.
    all the others mentioned. any survival manual will also give you good info. ive just started 'one'. i dont think its a zombie book, as ive just gotten maybe 100 pages in so far. the basic premise is some massive cataclysmic event happened, and someone happened to be diving deep underwater, came up, and saw the entire earth scorched and dead. kind of a 'last man on earth' deal. it does give a good read, and some ideas as to what would you do if you found yourself the last man alive.

exheroes is a short, but very good zombie book. its about superhereos banding together after the ZPAW. gives an interesting, and very different view.

world war Z, zombie combat manual, zombie survival manual are all ZSHTF staples.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Doesn't the author of "Lights out" try to have it printed? Anyway, its quite a good read.
    my enmity is only against Tyranny, where ever I find it, wheter in Emperour, King, Prince, Parliament, Presbyters, or People.
    Richard Overton, 1646

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Doesn't the author of "Lights out" try to have it printed? Anyway, its quite a good read.
    That was a good one too, along with Cold Camp. The Day By Day Armageddon books are great too.
    Last edited by sammage; 10-08-10 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post

Another vote for 'One Second After' and 'Lucifer's Hammer' (which I am re-reading now)

Let me know when you cry. There is a section of the book that has made every guy I know who read it get misty eyed at the bare minimum.

I deff. teared up. My Mother cried. Grandma cried. My GF flipped out and balled hysterically, not going to say what she said because it may give away parts of the book but it was hilarious to me, while she had tears all down her face. My cousin [female] cried on the plane from CA to NJ when she read it. Said people thought she was nuts.

One of the best books I have ever read bar none!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Okay, I liked Patriots. There were parts that were too much detail but I understand why. The style was so so but still a good read... One Second After was very good although a touch depressing but then, it would be if it happened. Lucifer's Hammer was interesting, it felt more sci fi and was dated but still a decent read. Lights Out was entertaining, I have it stored on my laptop for re-reading on the road. Day by Day Armegedon was witty and different. I'm not much of a Zombie man but enjoyed it, especially the flying part (have the private pilot license and know the area in Texas). Try Alas Babylon for some old school sci fi, sits in the same genre.

For what its worth, the sequel to Patriots will be coming out soon and he's working on the third book right now...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life. by Neil Strauss.

I thought it was an interesting look into the journey of a Hollywood dickbeat author actually doing things to make him more self sufficient. I guess I saw it as a realistic approach to take baby steps in making yourself useful in a serious situation.

Warning: The first half is kind of a waste I though. He is basically worried about leaving the country more than survival. The second half is where you see him take a different approach to survival and self-sufficiency. I thought it was good and it seemed to really change the authors life.

I thought it was interesting anyway.

Feedback Score
    When all hell breaks loose by Cody Lundin.

Pull out the old foxfire books and the boy scout handbook.

Avoid Myke Hawke, Bear Grylls, and other poseurs! There are enough real deal teachers out there that teach and write. You don't need to get into the "Tracker/Scout" ethos of Tom Brown either.

it doesn't matter if the terrain is Urban or outback, the basics are the same!

Look up Hoodlums and TSP.

Yeah, I teach this stuff.

Muddyboots

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
    Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life. by Neil Strauss.
    neil needs to stick to picking up drunk girls in clubs and stay the hell away from disaster planning. he is the last person id ever take survival advice from.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Lights Out wasn't bad. It was better than One Second After and much better than Patriots IMO.

... Being free didn't hurt either.

I'm "Shep," the Marine in San Diego.

I remember the name being mentioned in the book... But not the context. I'll have to pay closer attention when I get to the inevitable second reading.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast