Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shtf Book Suggestions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Just finished all three "Holding Their Own" books.

Pretty good overall, but they were more for entrainment and little to know teaching value.

Apparently their is a 4th book coming at some point.

Anyone know the dates for 299 Days 5/6 to be released?
    I just finished the first of the "Holding Their Own" series. I definitely agree it is more entertainment than instruction. However, it kept me riveted, and gave me several things to think about. I will have to research those things on my own though, as the book didn't necessarily cover the details. Still, a good read.

EDIT - I did enjoy the writing style and found the author, Joe Nobody, has other books, which look like they are more instruction than entertainment. I may give one of those a try to supplement the "Holding Their Own" entertainment.
    Last edited by AdventureTimeWithBS; 03-03-13 at 13:25. Reason: Adding books

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

***Spoiler Alert***

***Spoiler Alert***

Just started "Going Home" by A. American. One chapter in, it's not bad. Another EMP/CME story. Everything is fried except his NOD's...

He has 250+ miles to walk home and he is a little overweight. He plans carry an ALICE pack that starts off around 65+ lbs, wearing Bellville USGI combat boots (with GoreTex) and an XD-45.

Should be interesting, but the gear list has me rolling my eyes more than I would like in the first 20 pages.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    My favorite is

The Collapse by Jeff Stanfield

He's a former Marine, Alabama Police Officer, and was a member of Alabama's department of Homeland security

http://www.amazon.com/The-Collapse-J.../dp/1425914551

A lot of good instructions in a fictional type novel.

I"m reading the first page and years ago he predicted the future with the stuff about North Korea detonating two bombs and threatening the US after we put more sanctions against them.
    Last edited by francis; 03-11-13 at 03:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 5th book in the 299 Days series came out today.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm half way through "Going Home" by A. American and I'm quite impressed. While their editor should be fired, the story line is one of the better ones I've read.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by francis View Post
    My favorite is

The Collapse by Jeff Stanfield

He's a former Marine, Alabama Police Officer, and was a member of Alabama's department of Homeland security

http://www.amazon.com/The-Collapse-J.../dp/1425914551

A lot of good instructions in a fictional type novel.

I"m reading the first page and years ago he predicted the future with the stuff about North Korea detonating two bombs and threatening the US after we put more sanctions against them.
    I was about to say hell no at $23.56 but the Kindle version is $2.43. Kinda a no brainer at that difference.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis B View Post
    I'm half way through "Going Home" .....
    Going Home, was actually pretty good. I'll be reading the next book in the series for sure.

He takes a shot at Rawles which must be becoming popular.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Going Home, was actually pretty good. I'll be reading the next book in the series for sure.

He takes a shot at Rawles which must be becoming popular.
    "Patriots...Suck!"

Feedback Score

A Failure of Civility

I just received this book http://afailureofcivility.com/
    After reading Matt Bracken's glowing review here http://tinyurl.com/bow2rqt ..
    I ordered it Sunday night, and received it today (Wednesday), so at least they've got quick delivery. I respect what Matt says and his "Enemies" series of books were the best novels I read over the course of the last year. After I ordered it I did read a couple of reviews that basically said there's "nothing new in this book, move along now," but like I said I trust Matt, and will reserve judgement until I've finished reading it for myself. Just doing a quick perusal before heading to work was reassuring though. For instance the use of solar powered pathway lights if the grid goes down. I was just thinking about how handy those lights could be as back-up lighting last night, I hope it was a good omen...
    .. Notice I used a large font? so does this book, I like it....
    Last edited by Smedley; 03-27-13 at 13:06.
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A few days ago I finished Going Home. One of the better shtf books I've read. The editing was atrocious but it was a minor distraction from the great story lin

I finished Collision Course last night. The two different/parallel story lines makes it a good change from most books in the genre. Without spoiling the ending, I'll say I hated the outcome of one story line!! Gabe is a true comeback kid, and the way the book climaxes, you're praying the inevitable doesnt actually happen.

Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast