Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shtf Book Suggestions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by l3mon View Post
    Are any of his non-fiction books any good (retreat locations etc.)?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Another vote for 'One Second After' and 'Lucifer's Hammer' (which I am re-reading now)
    Let me know when you cry. There is a section of the book that has made every guy I know who read it get misty eyed at the bare minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I deff. teared up. My Mother cried. Grandma cried. My GF flipped out and balled hysterically, not going to say what she said because it may give away parts of the book but it was hilarious to me, while she had tears all down her face. My cousin [female] cried on the plane from CA to NJ when she read it. Said people thought she was nuts.

One of the best books I have ever read bar none!
    Darn you guys! Now I'm going to have to hunt this down to see what all the fuss is about.

I have been a voracious reader my whole life, so it's nice to see a thread for books. Nice to know some people still read just for the hell of it.

On another note- I read Patriots too.
    I have to say I'm about 60/40 against. I thought some of it was interesting to think about, and I liked how he went with a more possible financial meltdown, as opposed to the usual other stuff.
    After that, I thought it was pure fantasy, and really unbelievable at points.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxet1959 View Post
    For what its worth, the sequel to Patriots will be coming out soon and he's working on the third book right now...
    Oh please tell me he has a good editor. Please. Think of the children.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I have to say I'm about 60/40 against. I thought some of it was interesting to think about, and I liked how he went with a more possible financial meltdown, as opposed to the usual other stuff.
    After that, I thought it was pure fantasy, and really unbelievable at points.
    I think that is a fairly good read on it. He did put some things in there that seemed pure dime store novel material. Having said that I do think it is a good book to read when you look at the data in it and the way it makes you think.

I apologize if I sound like a snob when it comes to this book but I know too many authors and agents and am such a voracious reader that stuff like this just sticks out like counting the rounds being shot out of the good guys 1911 in a movie and then calling BS.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i havent read patriots, so someone tell me why everyone hates it? whats in it thats so bad?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
    i havent read patriots, so someone tell me why everyone hates it? whats in it thats so bad?
    I don't hate it. Like I said its got oodles of information and I have to give Rawls credit for putting what is basically a how too book into an entertaining and to one degree or another engaging form to read. On that alone it is worth reading and I would suggest it to anyone

However his literary skill and story telling ability sucks big time. I can excuse a lot of the over the top stuff that happened. It is after all a work of fiction. Having said that he really needed a hard core editor / ghost writer to help him out. The premise of the book was good. However the characters were 2, if not 1 dimensional and to one degree or another were stereotypical. I felt also that he wrote the universe that the characters live in as he would like to see life, not as it is in reality. He did thankfully not include a "Mary Sue" in the story as far as I can tell. So he gets credit for that.

Again I suggest the book, just be forewarned of some of the pitfalls in it.

Feedback Score
    Deep Winter and Shattered by T.C. Sherry were quite good in my opinion. Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank was good though be warned it was written in 1959.

Feedback Score
    I just wanted to thank everyone.. when this thread started, I really didn't give it long before it fell to the general rule:

So, here is the rub... this is not a forum to discuss how political, social, economical or extra-terrestrial influences may lead to things going awry. Please feel free to discuss steps to take in preparation for Natural Disaster, Civil Unrest, Terrorist Attack or the Collapse of Key Infrastructure; but please, no speculation, prediction, news or warnings of how/why/when any of these may happen.
    But this has remained largely a review of the factual content and quality of writing - gotta love the crowd here. Thanks again.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I read "Patriots", "How to Survive the End of the World as we Know it" and "One Second After". I dont think any have tons of great info specifically on survival or anything but they motivated me to take more action on the subject.

I just finished (a few hours ago), a book called "Earth Abides". It might be my favorite "SHTF" book Ive ever read. Really there is no useful information in it, but its just a great interesting read. It's a great read and really makes you think, I'd highly suggest it!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    so far im half way one second after and its a great read a little bit sad at certin parts but every one really needs to read the book
    DEATH SMILES AT US ALL, ALL WE CAN DO IS SMILE BACK

Feedback Score
    I've read "Patriots". I agree ith most. I like his premise of an economic melt down versus some of the other scenarioes, definately more realistic. The 1st half or so was OK. I also liked that he carried this out, i.e. it didn't just get resolved overnight. It certainly makes you realize that if the SHTF, then you need to be ready for the long term, not a quick weekend getaway. I really thought the 2nd half wasn't as good. I just didn't buy his premise of UN troops and all that. And yes the characters were all pretty much sterotypes.

I'm in the process of reading all of the Change Series books by S.M. Stirling, the 1st one being "Dies the Fire" Realistic, maybe not, but great reading.

I read "Alas Babylon" way back in High School. Great story, but remember, it takes place 50 years ago! In the middle of the Cold War.

On a slightly different note, John Ringo's "The Last Centurian" is in the same subject matter, but the MeltDown is Global Warming/Cooling and a flu pandemic. If you're familiar with John Ringo's writting, then you know what to expect. His political (and other) views definately come through his main character. Not a lot of real survival info, but a good read anyway?
    Now I need to go buy "One Second After" and "Lucifer's Hammer" to see what everyone is talking about. Thanks More books to Read!

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast