Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: Good shtf Book Suggestions

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Doesn't really fall under "SHTF" but Jack Carr's True Believer is coming out this month. It is the sequel to The Terminal List and boy talk about a thrilling novel! Jack Carr is a former SEAL sniper team leader and his writing is exceptionally well done. Loved the accurate, detailed descriptions of all the guns and gear in his book.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxet1959 View Post
    I have saved a copy so if anyone would like it, I can e-mail it.
    I would like a copy!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    (One Second After) Let me know when you cry. There is a section of the book that has made every guy I know who read it get misty eyed at the bare minimum.
    Yeah, and I know the section you are talking about and it pissed me off more than made me teary eyed. I got teary eyed when Old Yeller was shot. One Second After pissed me off because:

One: You keep you dogs well fed by feeding them bad guys.

Two: Situational Awarness would have prevented that dog from being killed. Also, the dog would have been healthier if he had been fed bad guys, and there were plenty of bad guys to feed to the dogs.

Dogs should never have to starve post shtf. That and why, nowhere in the book, were chickens and eggs ever mentioned.

Other than that I kinda liked the book.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
    Yeah, and I know the section you are talking about and it pissed me off more than made me teary eyed. I got teary eyed when Old Yeller was shot. One Second After pissed me off because:

One: You keep you dogs well fed by feeding them bad guys.

Two: Situational Awarness would have prevented that dog from being killed. Also, the dog would have been healthier if he had been fed bad guys, and there were plenty of bad guys to feed to the dogs.

Dogs should never have to starve post shtf. That and why, nowhere in the book, were chickens and eggs ever mentioned.

Other than that I kinda liked the book.
    That's a perspective I hadn't thought about. My question is what happens when a dog gets a taste for human? Could you ever trust it? I don't know the answer so I am very curious. Keep in mind that we have the benefit of hindsight since this book was written. At the times the characters were still trying to come to grips with the fact that civilization as they knew it had come to an end.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    That's a perspective I hadn't thought about. My question is what happens when a dog gets a taste for human? Could you ever trust it? I don't know the answer so I am very curious. Keep in mind that we have the benefit of hindsight since this book was written. At the times the characters were still trying to come to grips with the fact that civilization as they knew it had come to an end.
    You gotta plan in advance. That's the point. Military History professor at Montross didn't plan for his family in advance and didn't plan for his dogs in advance.

Dogs will eat anything if they are hungry enough, including each other. But keep them fed and they are loyal only to the one that feeds them. That's how they became domesticated in the first place.

His dogs should have been fed bad guys. Shtf and there should always be food for dogs. Hell, it's that way in third world countries now .... especially Africa.

Pigs are the same way. Shtf and there should always be enough food for the pigs provided they don't get too much protein and die from ketoacidosis which they are prone to doing .... ask any chicken farmer.

We're too civilized these days and for the wrong reasons. Hopefully we'll be able to keep buying 50 ps bags of dog chow, but if not then make do.

How can someone who has a diabetic loved one not have a years worth of insulin on hand and a way to keep it chilled? Type Ii is one thing because weight loss is a given but Type I .... they're dead without insulin.

My dogs will be fed. They're too important not to. They're part of the very fabric of survival of the fittest. They are an integral part of man's evolution. Without dogs we cannot thrive as humans. They sleep during the day and are alert at night for a reason. Their eyes are better, their noses are better, they're faster and they have better jaw strength and teeth. And they'll eat stuff that would choke most humans.

That was the major fail part of the book. Dogs, no chickens and no essential meds stocked up. He was actually lucky to have the old car .... thanks to his mother in law.
    Last edited by Gallo Pazzesco; 08-21-19 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Jungle is Neutral, 1948 ISBN 1-59228-107-9

written by:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Spencer_Chapman

Is a very good read. Lots of real S that really H a lot of F's.

Feedback Score
    Left of bang

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    R.E. McDermott's Disruption series
    Bobby Akart has several series

Both of these on Kindle Unlimited.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Crisis in the Red Zone: The Story of the Deadliest Ebola Outbreak in History, and of the Outbreaks to Come by Richard Preston.

The outbreak in question was in 2014 and the S literally HTF. Don’t think it can’t happen here because the truth is that our country is ill equipped to deal with any outbreak of a level 4 virus. lThe book is outstanding. Gives you lots to think about prep wise.

Feedback Score
    Dare to Prepare is a nonfiction how to book for almost everything you can imagine. Not cheap but worth the money.

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast