Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Words of advice from an AR dealer

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Words of advice from an AR dealer

Here are some things to think about before buying an AR:

1. What is the intended purpose of the gun? Varmint? Target? 3 Gun? Defense? Training? Be honest about what you are actually going to use the weapon for the majority of the time.

2. It is better to buy a quality used gun then a crappy new gun. Used Colt's are an excellent option (for instance).

3. Avoid buying components that your not sure if you need or even want on the gun (vertical grips, bipods, lasers, lights, etc).

4. Realize that 80% of the items on the market are junk (with many of them made in China).

5. Learn the fundamentals (like shooting your irons).

6. Understand that most gun dealers have never heard of any AR's outside of BM, RRA and DPMS. So asking them for their opinion of BCM, DD, NOVESKE is a waste of your time.

7. Your friend in the Military most likely doesn't know anything about AR's either.

8. Seek training as soon as you can so that you do not create any bad habits. If money is tight, look for a Vickers Shooting Method class in your area.

9. Find a mentor on the net to listen to. Figure out who is a well respected shooter and read what they have say.

10. Buy quality, buy once.

C4

Feedback Score
    7. Your friend in the Militaryor local police force most likely doesn't know anything about AR's either.

FIFY

I have a friend at work and anytime guns are mentioned we get the "My son, the police officer says/does"

number 3 is a source of great amusement, I love the configurations some people post of their assemblies...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I too get great amusement out of seeing how some folks with more money than experience configure their guns.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    Great post Grant!

Quote Originally Posted by randolph View Post
    7. Your friend in the Militaryor local police force most likely doesn't know anything about AR's either.
    True.....
    Last edited by Jake'sDad; 10-16-10 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    Great post Grant!

True.....
    Thanks.

C4

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    9. Find a mentor on the net to listen to. Figure out who is a well respected shooter and read what they have say.
    And if you're reading this you're already on the right path, as there's an unbelievable amount of knowledge on this board. Think of it as a one-stop shopping center for anything AR related. Don't waste your time with arfcom or the likes. In fact, consider yourself lucky you found M4C first.

Great post Grant, this should be stickied.

J
    Last edited by DaBears_85; 03-18-11 at 10:22. Reason: Brevity
    WTB:
    SA M-7 Classic blonde stock sets
    Bulgy ((10))/((E)) steel mags
    Bulgy T3 takeoff stock sets
    30-caliber magazine clips?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Good info Grant.

I had a friend suggest M4C to me. I am so glad I came here first to learn.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randolph View Post

FIFY

I have a friend at work and anytime guns are mentioned we get the "My son, the police officer says/does"

number 3 is a source of great amusement, I love the configurations some people post of their assemblies...
    You can also add: uncle, brother in law, friend of a friend who's a Navy SEAL and self proclaimed gun expert at your job.

Sage advise C4.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Here are some things to think about before buying an AR:

1. What is the intended purpose of the gun? Varmint? Target? 3 Gun? Defense? Training? Be honest about what you are actually going to use the weapon for the majority of the time.

2. It is better to buy a quality used gun then a crappy new gun. Used Colt's are an excellent option (for instance).

3. Avoid buying components that your not sure if you need or even want on the gun (vertical grips, bipods, lasers, lights, etc).

4. Realize that 80% of the items on the market are junk (with many of them made in China).

5. Learn the fundamentals (like shooting your irons).

6. Understand that most gun dealers have never heard of any AR's outside of BM, RRA and DPMS. So asking them for their opinion of BCM, DD, NOVESKE is a waste of your time.

7. Your friend in the Military most likely doesn't know anything about AR's either.

8. Seek training as soon as you can so that you do not create any bad habits. If money is tight, look for a Vickers Shooting Method class in your area.

10. Buy quality, buy once.

C4
    Somebody sticky this and make people read before they can join and post!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    X: Just because your friend has one does not make his advice good, he just may have made a poor decision as well.

Y: Find a bunch of people that own the product and then ask yourself why they own it, often times things sort themselves out this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast