Well, we actually got some folks together to do some shooting. Asheville Adam (icculus), 1Adam12 (zzblazezz), Matt (doughnut) and I were all able to make it on the 25th. When we all showed up, we did a quick meet-and-greet and then headed up to bay 1 to send a few downrange. We spent a few minutes talking about and checking out each other’s gear and then proceeded to the shooting.

Without any kind of game plan, we just set out five targets across the bay and shot some pistols at a relatively long range (~20 yds.). We all took a few warm-up rounds and then got out the timer to make it a little more interesting.

We then moved up and shot a few Bill drills and some El Presidentes, working at an informal, relaxed pace.

After a while, we put up the pistols and grabbed the carbines. At 1Adam12’s suggestion, we shot the box drill and the 1-5.

We took a short break to eat around 1:00 and then headed down in the holler to play at some longer ranges. 1Adam12 brought out his Sako .308 and let us all get behind it on the long-range steel. Then we went into a free-for-all with everyone fanned out, shooting at will. We had eight steel targets to choose from, including full- and half-size IDPA targets and a 12” plate, ranging from 100-200 yds. We even pulled out the pistols to try our hands at some long-range pistol shooting. Dinging steel at 100 yds. with a pistol is a good bit of fun.

As we came out of the holler at the end of the day, the range owner called us over to play with his tinker gun, a suppressed SBR. We had a bit of a problem getting it to run (he is constantly playing with the configuration on it), but it was worth the try. I’ve had the opportunity to shoot that particular rifle a few times, so the fact that it didn’t want to play nice was a bit unusual. I did finally get it to run through a mag. I take about any chance I can get for some full-auto fun.

1Adam12 and Matt had to take off, so Asheville Adam and I stuck around and shot some steel poppers and the Texas star with shotguns to finish out the day.

I hope we can set a date for another meet-up in the relatively near future. I tend to shoot alone unless it’s at a match, so having some other folks to shoot with was a treat.