Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best starting setup for Service Rifle?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Best starting setup for Service Rifle?

I'm going to be taking instruction from a High Master in service rifle who uses my local range, as I would like to make it to Perry.

I currently have a BCM A4 with a decent, legal FCG that I could convert for service rifle to start.

Anyone shoot service rifle that can comment on what's a good setup to start with? Will my BCM with a good, legal, free float tube hang in there, or should I look at something like a WOA upper on my A2-stocked lower?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I believe for service rifle Stainless Steel match barrels are allowed. if thats the case and your looking for a new rifle, look at BCM SS410 20in barrels. BCM SS410 barrels are extremely accurate.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=45749

it has to look like this

no ambi safety, no ambi mag release, nothing that changes the appearance from what's below (barrel color, bayo lug, flashider and 20" A4 upper with proper carry handle not factored into cosmetics. An A1 stock can be used. Must use A2 pistol grip):

Start at page 21: http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/rulebook.pdf

Last edited by danpass; 10-09-10 at 17:31.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, thanks for the replies. I've read all the rules and know the modifications that are, and are not allowed.

I was hoping someone that shoots highpower could comment on and whether I could make my existing equipment competitive enough for a beginner. I figure if that could be done, then I could rebarrel with a Kreiger and change the upper to an A2 when I burn up the original GI barrel and actually get good enough to hang with the big boys.

I know I can get an A4 carry handle that will shoot to 600m, and I can free-float the barrel on my BCM 20" A4 and replace the sights with NM aperatures and front blade. It will all be legal.

However, I don't want to put money into the BCM to make it a highpower gun if it will not be competitive.

Feedback Score
    If you can hold 1.5MOA with a sling but your gear shoots 2.0MOA then you need better gear.

I'm guessing you'll probably hold 2.5-3MOA so the BCM should do fine.

As a side note I shot a 96/100 in the slow prone at 200yds at the Camp Perry Rifle Small Arms Firing School. The ten ring is 7 inches. At 200yds that makes it 3.3MOA.

We were using rack grade M16s with web slings, no free float, heavy triggers, etc.

But we were using factory Hornady 75 Match.

So the ammo is the greater contributor to a gear setup than the rifle.
    Last edited by danpass; 10-09-10 at 21:32.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    I coached 3P for a couple years, and only have second-hand knowledge of HP, but nearly all the folks I talked to second the above post.

Start basic, and get to where you can shoot good enough to upgrade your rifle.

Feedback Score
    I don't know how accurate your BCM is, and to be honest, I don't know mine either since i haven't shot any of my BCM for groups...

But when I shot the M16 leg match at SAFS, I shot a 357-3x (89%) and came in 28th out of 459. (In the M16 match, they issue everyone rack grade rifles. Nobody gets a krieger barrel.) The top score was a 381-6x. (95%)

By way of comparison, if I shot 89% in the national trophy match, I would have placed 529th out of 891 shooters counting only non-distinguished. (829th out of 1202 counting all shooters), and the match winner would have placed 97th. (counting only non-distinguished shooters. 269th counting all shooters)

So yeah. Equipment matters. Though I agree skills are more important, and so is mindset.

I shot my first season with a stock RRA NM and had WOA rebarrel with a "house" wilson barrel about two years before I went Distinguished.

However, now that the rules allow SR-25s in "service rifle" and everyone is going to them... you might want to think about that. Very pricey, but much more forgiving in the wind
    Last edited by taliv; 10-13-10 at 12:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    However, now that the rules allow SR-25s in "service rifle" and everyone is going to them...
    link?
    I thought it was just for the Match category

Congrats on DR
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    here's the NRA "service rifle" rulebook
    http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-w03.pdf

3.1(d)
    U.S. Rifle, Caliber 7.62 mm M-110 series - In all courses of fire and in all positions the standard 20 round
    box magazine or a reduced capacity magazine of the same external dimensions will be attached. The
    flash suppressor may be removed or the rifle may be manufactured without a flash suppressor. Barrel
    length may not exceed 20 inches, as measured to the end of the rifling in the barrel. The front sling swivel
    must be attached to the end of the handguard, and must remain in the 6 o’clock position no more than 1/2
    inche from its original location. The sights must be of the standard design found on the M-16 series of
    firearms. Rear sight windage and elevation adjustments may be modified to allow finer adjustments.
    Plastic covers may be used on the mounting rails on the handguard.

i don't have the cmp rules handy

Feedback Score
    ah, ok NRA.

I've been focused on CMP rules (still just M16, M14/M1A and Garand for Service Rifle)
    Dan Miami, FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast