Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best starting setup for Service Rifle?

Feedback Score
    you could be right. I didn't get to go to perry this year. I heard the entire USAMU was shooting M110s but maybe that was just NRA week.

I briefly scanned the CMP rules for '10 and didn't find any mention of M110. so i don't know. i'll ask around though

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The M-110 will probaly not be CMP legal for a while if ever. That platform was designed for sniper use which translates to Palma type shooting.

As far as advice go work with the HM and he will set you straight with what you need. Sometimes it is better to lay eyes on something than to say what you need w/o seeing it.

Dan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    I don't know how accurate your BCM is, and to be honest, I don't know mine either since i haven't shot any of my BCM for groups...

But when I shot the M16 leg match at SAFS, I shot a 357-3x (89%) and came in 28th out of 459. (In the M16 match, they issue everyone rack grade rifles. Nobody gets a krieger barrel.) The top score was a 381-6x. (95%)

By way of comparison, if I shot 89% in the national trophy match, I would have placed 529th out of 891 shooters counting only non-distinguished. (829th out of 1202 counting all shooters), and the match winner would have placed 97th. (counting only non-distinguished shooters. 269th counting all shooters)

So yeah. Equipment matters. Though I agree skills are more important, and so is mindset.

I shot my first season with a stock RRA NM and had WOA rebarrel with a "house" wilson barrel about two years before I went Distinguished.

However, now that the rules allow SR-25s in "service rifle" and everyone is going to them... you might want to think about that. Very pricey, but much more forgiving in the wind
    Thanks. That's the type of info. I was looking for. I was speaking of CMP rules, however. Sorry for not clarifying.
    Last edited by mizer67; 10-14-10 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    for no good reason, looking at that another way...

you might say 22% of the shooters at camp perry shot better than a rack grade is capable of shooting. (figuring 268 of 1202 people shot better than the highest score in the rack-grade match).

which is not to say that a match-grade rifle wouldn't have improved the scores of the other 78% (as it definitely would)

it would be interesting to see some data around component upgrades. I mean, I'd love to put a match trigger in the M16s next year, then remove it and put match sights the following year, then remove them and put a match barrel the 3rd year.

My bet is most improvement would be from sights, barrel, trigger, in that order. but who knows?

Feedback Score

WOA upper

I have a BCM 20" A4 upper. Great barrel with good accuracy for a chrome lined barrel, but to be competitive in service rifle you need a legal free float tube, you'll want an A2 upper with pinned sights, lead weight in the butt stock, etc. The white oak armament upper in the end will be close to what you'll try to turn your Bravo into. I use my bravo 20" on my service match lower with Geissele service match trigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12