Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scratches on my AR

Feedback Score
    The finish on my Govt issued M4 looks 100% more worn than my personal carbine (that I built myself). My issued M4 has also seen duty "over there" where as my personal carbine has not. In time, I plan to change this by hard use in quality training courses with my personal carbine. Scratches and scrapes give firearms character. I believe that if you want a safe queen, keep it in your safe.

If you want a firearm to take out and shoot, without the possibility of damaging the finish, pay big dollars and get a ceramic (or other) coating on it. I have no use for this type of coating at this point in my life. I'd much rather save my cash for use on ammo these days.

There is no finish (that I know of, and I have not done a lot of research) that will stand up to rubbing against a metal magazine over and over. And if there were, I am not sure I would want it on a tactical rifle.
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockster35 View Post
    There is no finish (that I know of, and I have not done a lot of research) that will stand up to rubbing against a metal magazine over and over. And if there were, I am not sure I would want it on a tactical rifle.
    Research Ion Bond.
    That's all I'm going to say.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

A fortified location near Fort Campbell, KY
    Feedback Score
    You're wasting time with touching up your gun. Its going to continue to happen, so just let it happen, and go about doing your drills. You could also just paint your gun. The paint will get abraded away over time, but its the paint coming off, not the anodizing. Besides, the inside of the gun is what's important, not the outside.
    Its all fun and games till somebody loses an eye. Then its fun and games you can't see.-James Hetfield

Expertise is nothing more than the basics done correctly.-Holy Roller

ATS Tactical Gear, LLC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
    Never trust a carpenter with new tools...

My stuff, both personal and work, is scratched and worn smooth from thousands of repetitions.

You need an HK. The guys that own HKs, generally, seem to like to dust them and oil them and take pretty pictures of them and then put them, lovingly, back in the safe to protect the Hostile Environment finish.

Run it like you stole it! A well-worn, scratched gun is a loved gun.

That's not true...

There's a nice middle ground.

You don't HAVE to have scratches to prove you know what you are doing and it doesn't have to be perfect to prove you care about it...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If its pleasing to know, I've made peace with these new, deeper scratches and have returned to my previous state of not giving a damn about it. Its clean on the inside, so it must be doing good.

Feedback Score
    I've decided to let my guns wear down on the outside.

The way I see it, it goes a long way in convincing the wife that I need a knew one, and I can always KG Gun Kote the old one.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    I have often felt the same way you do about my firearms. I kept my Colt 6920 like a safe queen until I took the Tactical Response Fighting Rifle class. Now its dusty dinged and worn. Does'nt bother me it means I use it as it was intended. If I wanted safe queens I'd buy over and unders. A worn gun means you train and training is all its about.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234