Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPR or SAM-R as next build?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)

SPR or SAM-R as next build?

K, so I wanna use this as my "precision" AR rig. Occasional shots out to 600yds

I am for sure going with a BCM upper, but not sure if the 18in MK12 mod 0(with PRI tube) or a SAM-R 20in would be better for what I need(not really need, more of a want/would like/add to the Can I have one please Dearest wifey list)

Just looking for opinions. Ive got 2 BCM uppers already using their SS410 barrels(12.5in KINO and 16in Recce) and the accuracy is much much better than a HF barrel.
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 10-10-10 at 20:57.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A thought - before you dump a bunch of money into a new rig - shoot a 16" and an 18" or 20" on steel at 600 and beyond. Stop and ask yourself "why?".

If you do, get a 6.5 or better.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    A larger than 556 caliber is better for LR shooting but if your primary concern is accuracy barrel length matters little.

However for ease of use and "total package" I think a 16" goes best with something like an ACOG or 1-4X variable. An 18" or 20" goes better with a dedicated setup like an SPR with a large variable optic, bi-pod, ect where weight and portability are secondary factors.

Between an SPR and SAM-R I don't think you'd really see any meaningful difference. Pretty much two options to do the same thing. The extra 2" of barrel length isn't going to do much for you.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The SAM-R profile is still my favorite weapon when it comes to looks, but an SPR or Recce can do pretty much the same thing accuracy wise.

I'd say buy a very nice optic for your 16" Recce, and see how much of an improvement that gets you at 600, and decide from there. Worst case - you've already got the glass if you decide to get yourself a Mk12 or SAMR/SDMR clone.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    My Recce is a 16in with a 1-4x24, mostly use it for 3gun matches, but it also fills the Varmint/Walk About role pretty well.

The SPR/SAM-R build will be topped with a 3-9x40. Its going to fill the role of the lighter weight precision rig. I have a Rem700 in 308 that I use for F-class/Sniper Challenge matches like the Mammoth Sniper Challenge (mammothsniperchallenge.com)

What Im wanting this rig for is to be a little more mobile than the 308, but at the same time be a mid range, and maybe push it out to 800 when I have the chance. At the Mammoth match I can run my Bolt 308 or a Semi 223/308. May switch it up and run the SPR/Sam-R once and awhile for that kinda stuff.

But its sounding like the extra 2in isnt necessary, so I will most likely go with a 18in SPR
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No doubt, the SPR imho.

The SAM-R is irrelevant in the face of a true precision based recce or any SPR.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    No doubt, the SPR imho.

The SAM-R is irrelevant in the face of a true precision based recce or any SPR.
    I completely agree - despite the SAM-R being my favorite looking weapon system, I now own two 18" SPR's, and I think the MC adopting Mk12's reflects the same decision making.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Its a beautiful gun for sure.

I tell you what though, after recently getting my new Rock SS 16" which is the exact same barrel as my existing Rock SPR 18" just cut down..outshoot the Org. 18", I am only left to think Less is More when holding the match grade barrel and other specs critical to match accuracy constant.

Can anyone say Rock SS 14.5"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I went the SDM route myself but of your choices SAM-R is the next best thing. Something about those full sized ARs...

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Ive decided to just go with the SPR. But, it will be awhile. I wanna finish my Bolt Gun project and some new stuff for the SBR first.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast