Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any way to simulate an injured hand/arm while shooting?

Feedback Score
    We used to do stressfire drills. Lots of running, jumping, carrying a partner for distance, push ups all that used to take around 15 minutes. That was then immediately followed by trying to do a qualification shoot in double time first with strong hand then weak hand only with the good hand firmly in a pocket.... that included for reloads.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The "sleeper" method usually work. Put your hand in a weird position so that the blood drains out of it and becomes numb.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-11-10 at 11:23.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    ... and there's always duck tape.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeross506 View Post
    We would secure a dumbbell that was a moderate weight. Take it in one hand and do any combination of one arm exercises you desire. The goal is sheer speed and rapid exhaustion. The repetition level varies widely depending on fitness level but, as long as you give honest effort, your arm will be shaking uncontrollably when finished within 60 seconds of effort. In conjunction, your breathe rate will be increased as well. And I promise if you are injured in real life you will be trembling much the same way, your pulse will be racing with adrenaline, and your breathing will be much more uncontrollable....they key is to be prepared to secure your weapon and begin the drill soon or your body will begin to recover.
    This is a great idea! This is something I've been thinking about for a little while. I think it's important to simulate the stress that your body would be under if you actually were shot.

Anyone else had a shooting session after a workout session? Or incorporated a shooting session into their workout session?
    ...A country boy can survive...

Feedback Score
    Anyone else had a shooting session after a workout session? Or incorporated a shooting session into their workout session?[/QUOTE]

Above was just an example of one of the many routines we have implemented. I personally find it amazingly effective to get your adrenaline and blood flowing before running different lanes. Your imagination is the limit and we prefer to switch it up to keep the excitement level high.

Alternate from simply bringing your weapons into play and getting quick hits to attempting to place dead accurate shots. This will help you become aware of what the different stressors do to your motor skills and thought process.

*You can sprint from one place of cover to another with sheer speed until coming up to the final firing position. Depending on rules of the range and level of training, you can maintain your weapon during the sprints or simply have it waiting at the firing line.

*Orchestrate a run with gear that ends at the range. Arrange it so you can manuever straight to the line even if this means prior coordination. (train as you fight. don't wear and empty tac vest. Load it with ammo and strap on the full camelback.) Again, distance is whatever appropriate, just ensure a good heart rate. Have your group compete for the best run time to the range and then score their bullet strikes as well.

Options are endless as long as you A.) Ensure a safe training environment and B.) Get you heart beating, blood flowing, and sweat stinging the eyes.
    When first doing these "Real World" scenarios, take your time to watch what happens when your try to control your body enough to accurately engage the target. Mentally note how far your sights are rising with each breath and how hard you are shaking. That you can't see thru the stinging salt in your eyes. I promise you that this is the way the moment of truth will be. When it comes time to use that gun you won't be standing in line, sipping coffee. There's a reason those of us in the stink push our bodies so hard...

Feedback Score
    If a question like this gets a more than a few serious responses you know M4Carbine will have officially jumped the shark. (Right now I think all but a couple reponses weren't serious)

I can think of a hundred things that are more important to practice than this (which you can’t effectively replicate anyway.)

Really, if you are a warrior, you’ll find a way to adapt when the time comes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comprido View Post
    I can think of a hundred things that are more important to practice than this (which you can’t effectively replicate anyway.)

Really, if you are a warrior, you’ll find a way to adapt when the time comes.
    Are you saying that the practice of injury drills isn't important?

Also, what are the hundred more things more important?

If I'm wounded (with my clumsy self isn't a stretch) I don't want to die. And I'd rather pre prepared than just rely on my ability to adapt. If I were going to do that, then why train? Or even shoot? If I have the equipment I can just adapt when the time comes.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 10-12-10 at 03:31. Reason: Typo, pressed ''submit'' too early.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am a big proponent on this training, since I am a bit of a lead magnet.

This kind of training is not too difficult. It is all about training outside of the norm in regards to technique. Some people get too locked up in shooting from perfect stances, specific grips or cheek welds. Many of these aspects get thrown out when you get hurt.

Your shooting method has to have the freedom to adapt, instead of being slaved by dogma.

Some things we do...

Learn to use your other fingers and thumbs as trigger fingers.
    Practice using your carbine or pistol with one hand.
    Have someone pour water on your head/eyes to simulate blood or sweat.
    Shoot prone from awkward positions, simulating getting shot in legs and being dropped to the deck.

You can easily add this training concept without taking away training time from the fundamentals.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks for that IN:

I've found I can wield a 12.7'' with suppressor attached one handed. Can't wait to try 14.5'' + NT4.

(LWRCi + AAC I used to own.)
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Simple and effective, we just immobilize limbs with a splint or any small straight object. We even use slings. You'll see just how quickly you can adapt when the need arises.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast