Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross eye dominance

Feedback Score

Cross eye dominance

Why do many people that are cross eye dominant continue to shoot and train wrong handed?

Example:
    Left eye dominant, right handed shooter.

The reason that I ask is that I see a lot of civilian shooters that don't take the time to learn to shoot with the complimentary hand in the early stages of shooting. It seems to me that these people would be much better served in the LONG RUN to learn early to shoot left handed if they are left eye dominant or visa-versa. Not attacking anyone for their personal choices, just trying to get a feel for the "why".
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm left-eyed and a right handed shooter. I was one those kids who's parents didn't want me to be weird. Somethings I do left handed like bowling throwing a football, baseball etc. All guns I shoot right handed (started shooting at age 5), I can shoot longguns and handguns left handed pretty well too. I did this exclusively for a year about 5yrs ago just to get good at it switching now with 32yrs of shooting experience would just be foolish. I can shoot precision rifles better left handed with more comfort (less eye strain). I write right handed.

Dominance has varying degrees. It only hurts you if you let it.

Some damn good shooters who are also cross dominant are:

IDPA founder and Master class IDPA shooter Larry Vickers left-eyed, right handed (shoots handguns righthanded, longguns left handed)

GrandMaster USPSA/IPSC (2006 Limited Nat'l champion), Master class IDPA shooter Dave Sevigny left-eyed, right handed (shoots everything I know of right handed)

GrandMaster USPSA/IPSC, Master class PPC/IPDA shooter Phil Strader left-eyed, right handed (shoots everything right handed).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I'm left-eye dominant and right-handed as well. In basic training, the DSs had me shoot left-handed, which felt a bit unnatural.

I ended up switching to right hand again--both pistol and rifle-- since most weapons are not southpaw friendly. The only problem I have when shooting rifle with both eyes open is an inch or two left POI. 50 yards and above, I close one eye. Shooting at longer distances, I am noticeably better left-handed.

Shooting pistol with both eyes open is something I yet have to learn.
    "However horrible the incident of war may be, the soldier who is called upon to offer his life for his country, is the noblest development of mankind." - General of the Army Douglas MacArthur, Manila, 24 August 1936

Feedback Score
    Simple. I didn't know I was cross-dominant until I had been shooting shotguns for 10-12 years and my firearms instructors never caught it in initial training because I could qualify and didn't need extra attention.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I didn't know LV was cross dominant.

I was referring to new shooters on long guns more than those who have been doing it for a long time. Shooting a pistol would be much easier to overcome as the sights are further from your face. Just trying to find reasons that people start off shooting that way, is it: No initial training, bad training, bad attitude towards learning, etc.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    I'm left eye dominant and only have partial vision out of my right eye. My right eye vision is pretty lousy.

I'm right handed, I shoot pistol right handed and long guns lefty.

Feedback Score
    Brits have shotgun schools for hunters and trap/skeet, some of these schools have been around for a very long time, like 100+ years. They keep good records and pay attention to eye dominance. Their statistics show about 30% or men and 90% of women are cross-dominant.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Left eyed and right hand shooter, handgun and long gun. We did shoot our M4 rifle course wrong handed and my score was not only passing but pretty good. On the last prone shot with a mag change I forgot to send the bolt home when the gun shot dry. Wrong handed manipulation is pretty tricky, but a lefty gave everyone some of his tips before and that helped.

eta: I also keep both eyes open with handguns, no problem with sight picture. For long guns I close the left eye. Just the way it is.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Left eye dominant, right handed person here.

I shoot all guns both eyes open, using my left (dominant) eye for the sights.

I shoot rifles & shotguns left handed, since I can't see the sights with my left eye while shooting righty.

I shoot handguns right handed, since it is easy to cant the pistol slightly to line the sights up with my left eye.

Jason

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abnk View Post
    I'm left-eye dominant and right-handed as well. In basic training, the DSs had me shoot left-handed, which felt a bit unnatural.

I ended up switching to right hand again--both pistol and rifle-- since most weapons are not southpaw friendly. The only problem I have when shooting rifle with both eyes open is an inch or two left POI. 50 yards and above, I close one eye. Shooting at longer distances, I am noticeably better left-handed.

Shooting pistol with both eyes open is something I yet have to learn.
    I have the same issue with cross dominance.

Take a look at C.A.R. for a "default" handgun platform.

Here's the civi web page: http://www.ipdsystems.com/

It look goofy but it worked wonders for me and it's very fast up close and on the move.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast