Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross eye dominance

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

RDS for left eye'd / right handed shooter?

I tried to sight through an aimpoint and eotech the other day at my local shop. Not easy... I just saw a post here about mounting your red dot sight at a 45* angle off the top rail. I'm thinking if I hung the sight off the left side that might be the best way to shoot a carbine with both eyes open. Any merit to that thought? Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shark31 View Post
    Thanks, I didn't know LV was cross dominant.

I was referring to new shooters on long guns more than those who have been doing it for a long time. Shooting a pistol would be much easier to overcome as the sights are further from your face. Just trying to find reasons that people start off shooting that way, is it: No initial training, bad training, bad attitude towards learning, etc.
    Many shooters are ignorant of cross dominance. SO if you have someone who is unaware of a problem is teaching others to shoot, the CD is not addressed.

Now these folks shoot for 10-20-30 years before they run into a real instructor who looks for this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyanzhu View Post
    Brits have shotgun schools for hunters and trap/skeet, some of these schools have been around for a very long time, like 100+ years. They keep good records and pay attention to eye dominance. Their statistics show about 30% or men and 90% of women are cross-dominant.
    Blimey! I think that 90% number is a wee bit high, what-what-what.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czydj View Post
    I tried to sight through an aimpoint and eotech the other day at my local shop. Not easy... I just saw a post here about mounting your red dot sight at a 45* angle off the top rail. I'm thinking if I hung the sight off the left side that might be the best way to shoot a carbine with both eyes open. Any merit to that thought? Any suggestions?
    If you are left handed, there is some merit to this. Right handed it goes on the right side. 3 gun folk do this so they can have a close range sight and a telescopic sight on the same gun.

For a primary sight, it makes your gun pretty wide. When you are looking through EOtechs or aimpoints make sure you are looking at something that is some distance away so you focus on the target, not the sight. If you are cross eye dominant, and have a hard time picking the sights up with your non dominant eye, it is time to practice until you can, or shooting hands. But whatever works best for you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UVvis View Post
    Right handed it goes on the right side.
    Right handed, left eyed. Right side of carbine is too far away...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    im having this issue really for the first time now(left eyed/right handed).

in the past ive mostly shot rifles with scopes(bolt's etc) and i did so right handed/eyed with the left eye closed.pistols i shoot right handed with both eyes open(squint my right but not closed) and use my left eye for sighting.both have always worked well for me in the past.

now trying to use iron's on my new "M4orgery" i sometimes lose the front sight when looking at a dark colored area and my vision tends to "jump back" to my left eye when this happens.

im hoping with some practice and maybe a lamp on the front(for now,maybe an Aimpoint later) might help keep my right eye focused on the sights.

i really dont want to switch over to left handed shooting.i practice left handed some,but its still very unnatural and with my equiptment all set up for right handed.....

i would hate to only shoot left handed with one rifle and everything else with the right hand.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    this is an interesting idea.

anyone have any experience with something like this....

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product...6&cat=0&page=1

Feedback Score
    Right eye dominant, shoot longguns right handed, handguns either hand.

Curious problem though. Over the last few months I now find that I have to shoot longguns with both eyes totally open, instead of squinting with my left eye. Only happens when wearing contacts though.

Feedback Score
    I know several folks - fellow Mil, L/E co-workers, and decent normal humans - who are cross eye dominant. Generally, though not always, they were corrupted early in their youth and forced into being right-handed by the school system &/or the Mil. Parochial school seems to weigh into this heavily for those close in age to me.

The norm seems to be that they can & do shoot handgun with their "strong side", some from a Weaver variation, others from mod Iso - pushing the sights over to their dominant eye. I was the opposite for a long time. I shot shoulder weapon right handed because of the forceful instruction provided by my drill sergeants and squad leaders. I now shoot everything -with the exception of the M240/M249- left handed. (The M249 is a whole 'nother story. Somewhere there are pictures. Doh!)

The issue comes when they go to shoot a shoulder weapon. They now need to decide which way to go. The best option - from what I've seen - is to get them to shoot the shoulder weapon on the dominant eye side.

Caveat: Sticking to the same side may work just fine. The important part is to get the hits.

What may prove difficult is training the hand on the dominant side to work as the primary / strong hand, rather than being a supporting tool. When i switched over to doing all of my shooting left-handed it took a lot of dry & live evolutions and repetitions to get everything dialed in. Once the shooters' comfortable with it, it seems to work out really well for them.

Again, this is just my limited view.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    I am right handed and left-eye dominant. I have been shooting for years and just found that out this year when I took my first training class. Doh! At least now I know why I was always shooting slightly to the left. What I have done is still shoot right handed but I have covered up my left lens of my shooting glasses with scotch tape. I have been doing this for about two months and my right eye is definitely getting stronger. I used to see two sight pictures and now I still see two but they are much closer together. My instructor at Blackwater recommended the tape thing and I am glad I followed his advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast