Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need/want a .308 AR?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Do I need/want a .308 AR?

I need some opinions/examples from some of you guys to help me make a decision.

I recently sold off my old M1A and magazines/spare parts etc. in anticipation of purchasing a LMT MWS.

While I was at it, I got to thinking, why not just change over my hunting rifles to AR type as well. (Continuity of training) However, I can't seem to find anything that I want at the weight/quality/price point that I have put on myself. In frustration, I got to looking at why I even wanted a .308 for hunting when I could just use my AR's in .223 (with appropriate ammo) for hunting local West TN whitetail. The only reason that I would need a larger caliber would be if I were to go on my dream elk hunt out West. But I already have a Browning A-Bolt 30-06 w/a 2-7X33 scope that I have had for years and I really like.

Now I am beginning to question the need for the MWS.

I am just a Low Speed/High Drag civilian who wants to be prepared and who enjoys shooting. When it comes to home defense, I would use my 6920. If I need to evacuate the area, I would take my 6920.

Historically I have always wound up selling/trading my way into lighter weight weapons after starting out with heavier guns. I currently use Benelli shotguns, Browning Abolt rifles, Colt 6920 no rails, and Glock handguns, all of which are lighter that then guns that I had before.

So what slot in your firearms battery does your .308 AR fill?

What would you guys do?

Feedback Score
    I went thru a similar dilema. I ended up with a 6.8 to compliment my 5.56 weapons.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe a 6.8 upper to go on your 6920 would fit your needs better. I don't have a problem shooting a deer with a 5.56 and appropriate bullets but prefer the 6.8 for hunting (and HD).

I see a trend that a lot of people seem to think they need a 7.62 set up like a carbine but I don't know how realistic they are about training with it or how well it fits any real need. I suspect more than a few would be better off with more practice and a 5.56 rifle.

Feedback Score
    Different strokes. I went the other way and sold my 6.8 to get a varmint barreled 308 for hunting. Distances are just too far out West for my skill level with a smaller caliber. I will get a 308 AR as well, but no rush for me. However once I get that dialed in, I feel certain that would be my go-to gun, and the 5.56s for the rest of the fam.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    I bought an LMT MWS for no other reason than it is waaaaay cool. The CDI factor is off the chart. I have HK's, Colts, M1's, M1A's, a couple of AK's, etc. This LMT hit my giggle bone. I don't really have a shtf rifle, probably whichever one is handy (I do have a 14 inch 870 that stays close), so I wanted one just to have one. If you choose an LMT, you will like it. Forget having a niche for it to fit...get it cuz you want it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I see a trend that a lot of people seem to think they need a 7.62 set up like a carbine but I don't know how realistic they are about training with it or how well it fits any real need. I suspect more than a few would be better off with more practice and a 5.56 rifle.
    I have a 7.62 carbine for one reason...penetration. The 7.62 will punch through things that 5.56 will not. For me, that's worth the extra weight and training cost.

Feedback Score
    You don't have to "need" a gun to buy it any more than you have to need to play golf or go fishing. I have a Remington 660 in 308 for hunting in the woods, a 7mm mag for the deserts and several semiauto 7.62s just because. Life is short, treat yourself right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah1 View Post
    You don't have to "need" a gun to buy it any more than you have to need to play golf or go fishing. I have a Remington 660 in 308 for hunting in the woods, a 7mm mag for the deserts and several semiauto 7.62s just because. Life is short, treat yourself right.
    Words to live by.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    So what slot in your firearms battery does your .308 AR fill?
    Pyschological need also known as "want".

If you want it and can afford it, get the .308 and have fun. If you find you don't like it, sell it later. That's ok. You don't have to keep everything forever.

If you actually "need" a .308 AR, you will know it and you will not need to ask any to confirm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    Pyschological need also known as "want".

If you want it and can afford it, get the .308 and have fun. If you find you don't like it, sell it later. That's ok. You don't have to keep everything forever.

If you actually "need" a .308 AR, you will know it and you will not need to ask any to confirm.
    308 ARs make big holes. Knockdown power. I built mine for hunting and filling a defense role my 556s couldn't. Yes they're heavy, but I built mine about as light as you can go for what it is. I went with a 16 barrel this time. I had a 24 bbl last time and sold it because it was good for one thing-shooting paper. Unrealistically, obscenely heavy.

IMO the only real 308 AR worth taking into the woods and carrying is going to be a 16. Just my opinion after owning a few.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast