Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need/want a .308 AR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post

I never noticed your tag line before.

No offense intended.

I just wanted everyone to know that I have no pretenses whatsoever of being anything more than a 37 year old, soon to be not overweight, mechanical engineer who likes guns and shooting, but wants to wisely spend my purchasing/training budget.

I like shooting and guns but my life doesn't and can't revolve around them, unfortunately. Therefore, I am trying to make sure that every gun I own has a purpose and every shot I take is reinforcing skills/training that I receive.

I have owned alot of different guns in my life but I found that I really only have time to shoot a few of them.

I just want to make sure that I will actually use this gun and not just have another safe queen. I sold my M1A about 2 months ago and I honestly haven't missed it at all because I just flat didn't shoot it that much.

I am seeing some good advice so thanks to everyone and keep it coming.
    I feel exactly the same way, I could have written that myself!

(<-- and ............................... 37 with a BSME, 5'7", a bit overweight and working on it)

are you my twin, or just my unknown troll account? Maybe I'm your troll acount lol
    Last edited by danpass; 10-12-10 at 15:10.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    I just wish some significant entity would adopt (6.8) it.
    I don't think it matters one bit. Ammo is available, the 6.8 is becoming more common (AR hunting is a big part of this), more companies are making rifles in 6.8, I just don't see a good reason to wait.

Yes, if larger amounts of ammo are purchased by large entities the price will go down some. It's not going to come down enough that I will use a 6.8 for most training, so I will continue to use 5.56 for that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also WANT .308 BAD, but I want it for hunting and Ill probably build it as an 18inch SPR type build. I have 4.5 AR's in .223 and 6.8 really doesn't do it for me. I'm a a cross roads of AR 10 or Remington 700 though.

Feedback Score
    I went through pretty much the same thought process that you have. At first I really wanted the 308 because of the extra power and it's such an old standby, but then I thought about the muzzle blast and the recoil. Then I found out about the lack of parts compatibility and the weight of a 308 AR. On top of that I live in Tennessee also and where I hunt there is just no way I'm going to need to go further than 200-300 yards. If I lived out West with wide open spaces then a 308 might make sense.

Lastly, a 6.8 would be just more enjoyable to shoot. As to your other scenario, a .223 with the right ammo would work for whitetails but 6.8 would be a far better choice. So I settled on a Bushmaster ACR in 6.8 when they become available.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

.308 AR

I'd like to start off by saying that I'd love to get my hands on a LMT in .308 but have put it on the back burner for reasons of practicality.

I see the AR platform, in general, to be a 300 yards and under weapon system, even when configured for .308. The larger caliber will just give you more stank when it gets there. I know an AR-10 is capable of well beyond 300 yards but it seems to me that if you're looking to go there most people would grab a bolt action. Cost and availability of parts for .308 configured rifles isn't pretty either.

The 6.8 was my solution for more stank within 300 yards. It's light weight, parts are fairly available from good manufacturers and reasonably priced. It gives you all the advantages of the AR-15 with about as much power you could hope to wring out of the platform.

For the purpose of someone out in the field who would be targeted as a sniper for carrying a bolt action rifle I can absolutely see the utility of carrying a gun that looks like everyone elses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I don't think it matters one bit.
    Yes, if larger amounts of ammo are purchased by large entities the price will go down some.
    That would be one of the bits, along with greater selection and availability, and likely more manufacturers making guns/uppers.

It's not going to come down enough that I will use a 6.8 for most training
    If it were more successful, I fully expect it would come down enough that many would use it for training. Competition has a way of doing that.

I just don't see a good reason to wait.
    And clearly no one has to, but I'd guess many are doing just that.
    Last edited by Jake'sDad; 10-12-10 at 16:19.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    That would be one of the bits, along with greater selection and availability, and likely more manufacturers making guns/uppers.

If it were more successful, I fully expect it would come down enough that many would use it for training. Competition has a way of doing that.

And clearly no one has to, but I'd guess many are doing just that.
    I'm working on the assumption that the OP wants a .308 AR for general use: truck gun, home defense, hunting, etc, and not as a dedicated precision rig.

That having been said...

I just don't see a downside to having a 5.56 upper for training and plinking and a 6.8 upper for hunting, home defense, etc. The muscle memory stuff is identical.

A .308 AR, while having access to lots of cheaper military surplus ammo and the sub-basement stuff like Tula, is a bear to shoot in the same manner you would shoot a 5.56 or 6.8 gun. Weight, bulk, balance, and recoil are all issues that need to be dealt with, and that in turn requires time and effort behind the trigger.

If you can manage a few thousand rounds of .308 down the pipe per year - great. You'll be able to shoot a .308AR very well. But if you shoot a thousand rounds or less per year, you'll be a better shooter with a 6.8 gun, plain and simple.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Through time I've had M1A's, real HK91's, Armalite's, DSA FAL's. Do most of us have a true need for a reliable .308 semi? That's debatable, I would say no.

Do we want them, of course. But we have to be realistic about alot of the issues mentioned here. For one, I think everyone needs to truly assess the "defensive" role and you will more than likely come to the conclusion that the answer is "no I don't"

I'm financially able to pick up one of these, have the ammo, etc. but I don't have one because even my "wants" have been reviewed and I currently don't see the point of getting one.

I do have a couple 6.8's set up for hunting(tweaking optics) and have the bolt guns as well.

Don't get me wrong, not saying you "shouldn't" have one, just that it may not your best choice.

I have been sucessful by saving my brother in law a beat down by educating him with his wants, needs and training shortcomings by not getting one for hunting.
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 10-12-10 at 17:32.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    you guys are kinda talking me into 6.8 its all I really NEED in a round, I just like the idea of .308 I think.

Or.... a bolt gun. In .308
    Last edited by motorwerks; 10-12-10 at 17:27.

Feedback Score
    My thinking is like this:

Close Quarters: S&W M&P15 or Benelli M4
    Secondary Pistol: M&P .45ACP Compact
    Long Range: Remington 700 or Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout if i can get my hands on one. Especially for the barrel swap outs for 338 Lapua and 308.

Now this is just my wish list (i have the m&p15) and shtf zombie apocalypse situational load. Generally i would be with the 5.56. Unless pulling sniper duty.
    Doom On You Mr. Tango!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast