Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a new city

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I moved from westminster colorado a year and almost half ago. It is part of the asphalt slab that connects denver to boulder. All suburbs in that area. Not really for me. The populace seemed to be about 80% douche bags.

I did a couple of years in AZ. I love it there (except the heat).

If Austin is too Kali, I would suggest avoiding any university town and its Kulture. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Bend is not a bad town. It is small. I think the Lancair factory is there if you are into planes.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I'd take Santa Fe off your list - it's Kalifornia lite, and annoying beyond belief.
    :

Reminds me of taking my daughter up to school there and reading in the local paper that the mayor had said that all the 'gringos should wake up with a gun barrel in their ear', or words to that effect.
    former cat herder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Santa Fe is probably just as bad as Austin. We call it Santa Gay here. Very Very liberal. Most resturants post no guns signs. There are much nicer spots in new mexico like the east mountains that are gun friendly. We just got a republican governor and booted 6 dems out of the state legislator, so gun rights should hold firm for atleast the next 2 years. There is no gun registration in NM. Background checks are only required when buying from a ffl dealer. The crappy thing is you gotta get a permit to conceal your weapon. Hopefully this new governer will make concealed carry a issue. I doubt it though. She did pledge to revoke the drivers licenses of the over 50,000 illegal aliens given out by democrats.

Sounds like AZ would be a great place to live. I would go to the higher elevation towns like flagstaff, because the summers are hell in the desert.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattlesnake View Post
    Santa Fe is probably just as bad as Austin.
    Yeah, I have pretty much ruled out Santa Fe and Boulder for that reason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A gun-friendly college town at altitude, hmmm. Plenty of good ideas in the Rockies and the Southwest already so how about these?

Logan, Utah: pop. 50,000, elevation 4534 ft, home of Utah State U.

Pocatello, Idaho: pop. 52,000, elevation 4465 ft, home of Idaho State U.

Cheyenne, Wyoming: pop. 58,000, elevation 6062 ft, UW is not far away in Laramie.

Feedback Score
    Cedar City, Utah
    Brigham City, Utah
    Heber City, Utah
    Roosevelt, Utah
    Vernal, Utah
    Tooele, Utah

Utah has the best Brady score in the nation... a perfect zero.

Feedback Score
    I've spent a ton of time in Grand Junction, CO Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful... It's a college town, has a really cool downtown area, and everything outdoors you could ask for.

Plus you get to stay away from Denver, and Boulder...

Fort Collins would be my 2nd choice in CO, followed by the West side of Colorado Springs, maybe even up to Woodland Park, CO
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey yeah, GJ isn't bad either. Close to Utah yet happily in the land of real beer.

Logan and Brigham aren't bad either, and real close to Idaho.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Loveland Colorado is the perfect city IMO if you make more than 75k. On the plains, foothills, and mountains. Check out Jensen Arms if you ever make youre way up there, best gun store in the US.

Feedback Score

a few suggestions....

Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Thanks, guys. Yes, Arizona is high on my list, specifically Flag and Prescott.

Working with a map and Wiki, the cities that more or less seem to meet my criteria are:

Arizona Flagstaff
    Arizona Prescott

Colorado Boulder (probably too expensive and too political)
    Colorado Grand Junction
    Colorado Longmont
    Colorado Loveland
    Colorado Pueblo

Idaho Idaho Falls
    Idaho Pocatello

Montana Billings
    Montana Great Falls
    Montana Missoula

Nevada Carson City

New Mexico Santa Fe (probably too expensive)

Oregon Bend

S Dakota Rapid City

Wyoming Casper
    Wyoming Chyenne

Additional comments are very wlecome. Most important to me is a high quality of life; although, I realize that is very subjective.

When I get the list refined and narrowed I am going to start making visits to the short list cities.
    I
    I got on this a little late, but I've lived in Colorado for 35 years and travelled around a lot.

Colorado at this time is very gun friendly with very good state laws. We have too many Left Coasters moving here so they can screw up Colorado as well. In your situation I would look at Pueblo and Grand Junction, the latter first. Wyoming is a pretty cold place in the winter and it's not for warm weather people.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast