Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok I have me an M4 with Surefire light now help me with optics

Feedback Score

Question Ok I have me an M4 with Surefire light now help me with optics

Ok I have me an M4 with Surefire light now help me with optics. I think I would like to have a laser mounted on the quad rail but aren't they pretty high? What kind of optic would you guys/gals use? Could ya'll explain the different types of optics for me? Also what other accessories do you suggest?

Last edited by Desiel; 10-12-10 at 10:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First hello and welcome, looks like a nice rifle you got there. There are a bunch of threads on 'which optic', but they all boil down to one critical question:

What is the purpose of this rifle? Home defense? Long range shooting? Range toy? Taking classes?

Answering this will determine your needs. If its something you are going to be using for home defense and taking to courses then you will want something proven to take abuse and work. If it's just a range toy, then it's just depends on what you want.

I'm not going to get into 'you should get X', but I will explain a few different optics:

Red dot sight (RDS): Just like it sounds, unmagnified, single red dot. The hot choice right now is the Aimpoint T-1/H-1. Can be magnified 3x with an additional optic in either a flip or twist-on mount. There are lots of cheap options also but Aimpoints are the only ones that are going to be reccomended for serious use.

Holographic Sight: Similar to RDS, but will often have a red ring around the dot. Also, instead of a tube that you look through, it is more of a window that the sight is projected onto (hope I explained that well enough). Eotechs are the best example of these.

Then you've got your magnified optics, whether they are more traditional 'hunting' style non-illuminated, long range optics (Leupold, Zeiss), or the uber-tacticool, variable-magnification, illuminated reticle tactical scopes like the S&B Short-Dot or less-expensive Millet DMS-1.

Anyways, post up what you are going to use it for or do some searches on here for what you are interested in. Like I said, there are already lots of threads on this topic. If you haven't already, learn those irons really well. As for other accessories, wait until you determine a need before you buy a bunch of ninja gear to hang off your rifle. Happy hunting!
    Last edited by smurfyc84; 10-12-10 at 11:39.

Feedback Score
    Lol @ ninja gear

Well here's kinda my thought on what I'm gonna use it for.
    1. I do some Raccoon hunting and am gonna purchase a .22lr conversion so it will be used for that.
    2. If it was reasonable I may do some deer or coyote hunting with it.
    3. and of course while it's at home it will be in the bed room

sorry for the wide open answer but I guess I need something that is a good all arounder

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Your question is almost too broad. Define your objectives and research from there. Almost every optic question has been covered on this sight before, so unless you're talking about something new to the market, you'll likely be able to find the information you need in past threads.

Unless it is a special-purpose rifle (for longer ranges or whatever), many here prefer Aimpoint RDSs, with some using Eotechs or ACOGs. The 3-gunners tend to go for 1-4 power scopes.

As far as accessories go, get what you need and nothing more. In order to find what you need, you need to define your objectives. Is it home defense, range use, training courses, 3-gun matches? Once your objective is defined, you can narrow down what gizmos you might need. One sure thing is a sling, but even that question can be answered only by defining your need and then trying things to see what works for you.

My under-qualified opinion is that less is more, so I try to have as little as possible hanging off the gun. I mostly use mine for 3-gun competition but I keep it as close to a SHTF gun as I can, with only an Eotech, iron sights, a two-point sling, and a BattleComp as accessories, though I guess you the MOE handguards and stock may count as accessories.

Once you define your objective, though, you have to get out and train to that end, and shoot a lot, to figure out what pieces and parts you need and what work best for you.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    What do you folks think about the .22lr conversion kits?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I don't have a lot of experience with the conversion kits. I have an M261, and like a lot of things .22, it can be finicky with ammo. I pretty much got it so I can plink with my AR and work on transition drills without breaking the bank.

I haven't used it a whole lot, so I can't answer too many questions about it, but it is fun and useful for some things. I would think though, if I were hunting, I would just as soon have a 10-22 as an AR with a conversion kit.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have an Eotech 553 on my weapon. I have been seriously looking at the Aimpoint T-1 though. One thing I really like about the Eotech is that the mount is built into the sight and that the aiming dot is only 1 MOA. Since the dot is only 1 MOA it makes it easier for me to be more accurate at longer ranges. The dot doesn't cover as much of the target as a 4 MOA dot would. By longer ranges I'm meaning 100 to 200 yards. The Aimpoint T-1 is 4 MOA. Battery life is a LOT longer with the Aimpoint though. It is also about half the weight, maybe even less. If the T-1 had a smaller aiming dot I would hop on it. The dot size may not even be that noticeable. So as of now I'm sticking with my Eotech 553. We'll see what happens inthe future though. Still kinda agonizing over the choice though.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 10-12-10 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    Well I ordered my Stainless Steel .22 conversion from Brownells today, found a code online that gave me .99c shipping lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Those .22lr conversions are a fun, cheap way to shoot, I love mine. Just remember for training purposes to start and end your sessions with full-powered ammo, so that you don't get too used to having no recoil to deal with as far as getting back on target. There are other schools of thought on that, but it's covered pretty well in other threads. Did you get the CMMG kit? Thats what I have, its been working pretty well with Black Dog mags and CCI target ammo. I dunno what to tell you about the optic decision, though. I just run irons myself right now until I have some pennies saved up for an Aimpoint, and my current rifle serves as my do-all gun until I get my BCM 14.5in ordered. See if you can find another shooter who has some toys you can try out and figure out what works best for you. Also, getting a good sling and taking some classes are going to get you way more value than anything else you can spend money on, as many senior members will quickly tell you. Read up, ask questions, and enjoy!

Feedback Score
    Yes I got the CMMG kit and I got the Stianless Steel because I figured it would be better...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast