Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok I have me an M4 with Surefire light now help me with optics

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Some things that may help us help you.

What is your level of experience with the AR?

Do you have mags and ammo?

I suggest that you move your VFG forward and mount an X300 on there. Then I would buy a sling. I wouldn't be concerned about a red dot at this point.

If that upper or barrel is a CMMG I highly suggest that you consider using an H buffer and I would have someone check the chamber to ensure that it is 5.56 and not a .223.

Quote Originally Posted by Desiel View Post
    Yes I got the CMMG kit and I got the Stianless Steel because I figured it would be better...

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    It's all Daniel Defense as it came from them when it was new. I am going to buy me some mags.

I am not experianced at all with ARs so I'm trying to learn what is good and what is not.

Ok where would you mount the 3x magnifier? Behind the rear sight or on some kind of riser so the Iron sights are still able to be used?

As far as a sling goes I'm thinking I like the Magpul Multi Mission Sling System so I can make it a single point attachment or I can use it like a regular rifle sling.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I have an Eotech 553 on my weapon. I have been seriously looking at the Aimpoint T-1 though. One thing I really like about the Eotech is that the mount is built into the sight and that the aiming dot is only 1 MOA. Since the dot is only 1 MOA it makes it easier for me to be more accurate at longer ranges. The dot doesn't cover as much of the target as a 4 MOA dot would. By longer ranges I'm meaning 100 to 200 yards. The Aimpoint T-1 is 4 MOA. Battery life is a LOT longer with the Aimpoint though. It is also about half the weight, maybe even less. If the T-1 had a smaller aiming dot I would hop on it. The dot size may not even be that noticeable. So as of now I'm sticking with my Eotech 553. We'll see what happens inthe future though. Still kinda agonizing over the choice though.
    I have a T-1 and a few Eotechs. The weight reduction is nice (about 5-7 ounces over an OPMOD Eotech or similar), but I am bothered by having to look through a tube (and a small one at that) which impairs both-eyes-open shooting and have found I really prefer the Eotech reticle and 1 MOA dot. The T-1 is not really well-suited for use with a magnifier, which I would certainly want if I were going to try to shoot varmints. Furthermore, I don't care for the occasional internal reflections the T-1 provides in some lighting conditions.

For me, battery life is a non-issue. 500 hours of on-time is a long time, and all of my rifles have storage space for additional batteries in the event I should forget to check or replace the ones in there in a timely fashion. From a usability standpoint, I have to give the nod to any of the Eotechs, especially the XPS versions.

IMHO. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's all Daniel Defense as it came from them when it was new. I am going to buy me some mags.

I am not experianced at all with ARs so I'm trying to learn what is good and what is not.

Ok where would you mount the 3x magnifier? Behind the rear sight or on some kind of riser so the Iron sights are still able to be used?

As far as a sling goes I'm thinking I like the Magpul Multi Mission Sling System so I can make it a single point attachment or I can use it like a regular rifle sling.
    DD is good stuff made by good people, thats a great rifle. Before I say anything else I will echo what Iraqgunz said and suggest that you stick with the irons, learn them really well and spend your money on ammo, mags and a sling. Then I would look at maybe taking a basic carbine class. You will learn more in one 2-day class taught by a reputable instructor than most people will in a year of shooting paper targets (or several years, even). After that you should know pretty well what you want.

To answer your question though, 3x Magnifiers go right behind the RDS, not behind the rear iron sight or anything like that. To use no magnification, or your backup sights, most magnifier mounts either rotate off to the side out of the way or twist off of the base. You'll have to google some pics of that to really see what I mean.

Feedback Score
    Thanks ok so I have already ordered the .22 conversion now I gotta get me a sling which is gonna have to be the Magpul, it's a lil higher than the others but it's more versatile.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ...now I gotta get me a sling which is gonna have to be the Magpul, it's a lil higher than the others but it's more versatile.
    I have found the MS-1 to also be more uncomfortable if you're going to be wearing it for hours a day. I agree it's more versatile, but I've found that I prefer a wider sling for confort. So far, I've been most happy with my padded VTAC.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have the MAGPUL sling and like it's versatility but didn't like how narrow it was. The webbing is only about an inch wide. It dug into my shoulders when carrying my weapon. When adjusting the sling sometimes the webbing twisted in the buckle. I switched to a VCAS sling because the webbing was wider and a bit padded. Sling length adjusting is most similar to the MAGPUL sling and that was another reason choosing the VCAS. The MAGPUL is a lot noisier also. I'd still be using it if it was wider and quieter

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

This is lower third co-witness of the iron sights. The magnifier is cantilevered to be able to sit over the rear sight. Necessary for appropriate eye relief.

Last edited by Hmac; 10-13-10 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    Ok I'll keep that in mind, I probably won't be wearing it for more than 3 or 4 hours but a paded sling would probably be more comfortable

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok I'll keep that in mind, I probably won't be wearing it for more than 3 or 4 hours but a paded sling would probably be more comfortable
    A padded sling isn't exactly necessary, if it is wide enough. Some people don't like padding because it can hang up on gear, but if you're not going to be wearing any then it is a non-issue. I personally like the non-padded VTAC for simplicity and quick adjustability, and it is a favorite among most of the users here. All you really need is a simple 2-point sling that you find comfortable. I was really happy with a cheap Blackhawk sling until I finally bought the VTAC. I don't have any experience with the Magpul sling so I can't comment, if you decide to get it let us know how it is.
    Last edited by smurfyc84; 10-13-10 at 14:02.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast