Thread: FNAR Double Duty

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FNAR Double Duty

Gimme your thoughts on this. But just consider it before I get bashed.

I shouldered an FNAR not too long ago, and I really liked the balance. I'm looking to get a rifle in .308 that can serve double duty as a battle rifle type and a longer range shooter. I know, I know. You're asking.."Dude get a LMT or a SCAR-H!" Funds, man Funds! All those .308s, the REPR, LMT, POF, SCAR are all $2.5k plus. Maybe a tad less if I really look. That's [span style='font-weight: bold;']A LOT [/span] of coin. The FNAR is actually lighter (and better balanced) than the LMT! In most cases the length is comprable. Also has a chromed bore and chamber. I know the mags aren't cheap, but I'm told that they are reliable. Building a base of 10 mags over the next two years won't be that bad. The price of the FNAR is great, I can spend the remianing $ on a first class scope. Probably a 1.5-5 /2-7 / 2.5-10 range of magbnification.

Here are my big questions if this is to work.

Reliability? I'll only be shooting factory ammo, as I don't have the time to reload. Is it reliable enough?

Cleaning Looks like a bear to clean, because you can't clean from chamber side. Will a bore-snake do the trick or will it harm the throat and ruin accuracy? Yes. I know it has a lot of internal parts.

Barrel length. 16" or 20" Will there be a big difference in velocity and range?

Muzzle Brake I'd be interested in having a PWS brake-hider installed. Will this effect reliability? Will FN do this?

Thanks for your input, all.
    Last edited by No Bananas; 10-12-10 at 13:00.
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Bananas View Post
    Cleaning Looks like a bear to clean, because you can't clean from chamber side. Will a bore-snake do the trick or will it harm the throat and ruin accuracy? Yes. I know it has a lot of internal parts.
    Your right on the cleaning side.

Furthermore, look at a blown up diagram of the thing, and you would be 100% correct. It's got more parts than a swiss watch. I would suggest you look at some other 308 rifle options personally.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge