Thread: Quick cleaning tip for X300

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quick cleaning tip for X300

I had about 500 rounds worth of residue on my X300 (mounted on an M&P40). A pencil eraser works as I had to use it last time around but requires a bit of elbow grease and also has the risk of scratching.
    This time I looked under my sink and found a bottle of "CLR" cleaner I bought to clean my shower. I dabbed a bit on a paper towel and hit the glass with it. The residue came off super fast. I followed up with soap and water in the sink to make sure the stuff didn't attack the annodizing. No problems.
    Just a little tid bit of info that worked for me. I don't baby my stuff so I'm not scared.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Nice find! Just be sure to rinse any vestige of CLR off immediately so it doesn't work it's way into the O-rings...

Polish it with some Flitz or probably any other polish and future cleanings are as easy as a wipe with your finger, shirt or I guess even a rag. I like to think of this as "Tactical Polish" because you can easily clear your lens of residue if caught up in a longer shooting scenario.

Dennis.

VMI-MO Guest
    An easy way to help prevent build up and also to remove it is to put a light coat of chapstick onto the lense.

PJ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    WD40 pen works well too

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A few months ago, I tried polishing my X300's window with some Mother's carnauba wax (I'm pretty sure I read about the car wax tip here on M4C).

I was amazed to find almost zero carbon buildup on the window after 200 rounds worth of drills. The extremely light, almost imperceptible film of carbon that was on the window wiped right off with my finger.

Normally, using filthy ammo like WWB, my X300's window is coated so badly that the light is barely penetrating it after ~100 rounds. During the last low-light shooting class I took, I had to stop and clean my light at two different points, as my X300's output quickly degraded to the intesity of a bic lighter.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips. I had an awful time cleaning off my light after the last range trip. Now I know what to do to lessen the cleaning aggravation next time.