Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS options

VMI-MO Guest

GPS options

I am currently looking for a new hand held GPS.

My primary concerns are:
    Rugged/Water proof
    Able to grab a signal through thicker veg

I was looking at the Garmin 62 series. Any experience with these?

Any other options?

Thanks
    PJ

Feedback Score
    The 62 Series are, from what I have seen, great units - I have three Garmins and see no reason to buy anything else.

I have a 62ST, but it is inventory... I have not played with it, but that may change.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great unit I have used the cxs60 awesome unit no problem with signal strengh.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The Garmin Rino is a nice unit. I only had signal loss inside a three story building while testing it. The radio can be handy, and the battery last longer then lets say a Motorola Talkabout, but lets not go there. The Rino is a bad mama jama, I beat the hell out of mine and its still running great. Also if you feel like wasting batteries it even has some games in the menu.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Plus 1 for the Rino
    [I]Life is Hard, It is even Harder if You are Stupid.
    John Wayne[/I]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No experience with the 62 series but I've been researching them, the 62s will be my next purchase. They're a 60csx on roids, everything about them is upgraded and you can input custom Rastor maps (USGS topo's or one of your own creation using satellite imagery overlays, aerial photos, or PDF's). Here's a good review of them at GPS Tracklog
    Last edited by Mitch; 12-19-10 at 15:07. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    i really like my Garmin E-Trex Vists Cx.

i got it as a christmas present before a deployment to Afghanistan and it did great. ive also been in some thick woods down in the Natchez Trace park and it has read through every time.

i like its size and ease of use with the controls. i like its magnetic compass vs the map compass based on your movements.

i too have been looking at the rinos for the dual use as a radio.

Feedback Score
    Here's another good timely thread (at least for me), since I've been thinking of purchasing another Garmin. Now with that already stated above, I'll have to look more into Garmin's GPSMAP 62xx series.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for the Garmin 60csx. When they first came out i paid $450.00 out of pocket for one and i was issued a Garmin 76 at the time. One of the best equipment purchases i have made to date.

I spent the day yesterday teaching some fella's how to land nav with GPS while using a 76. The 60csx is worth every penny.

It has good battery life, gets a signal FAST (I have never had less than 6 Sats locked, anywhere) is small and lightweight and easy to manipulate with gloves on.

One good piece of equipment.

Feedback Score
    60 series are goin cheap and fast, i dont think they are making them anymore. 62 series is current gen. The only thing important that i gleaned is that with subscriptions 62 series can download sat views from satellite connections.
    Last edited by rsgard; 12-21-10 at 20:00.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast