Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A1 Upper vs Flattop Weight

Feedback Score

A1 Upper vs Flattop Weight

Which weighs more, an A1 upper or a flattop upper with a LaRue BUIS?

When I say A1, I mean a typically available upper receiver with a fixed carry handle, A1 sights, brass deflector, round forward assist.

I did a search, but could not find this information.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Probably right at the same weight.

I weighed two uppers other day at work (both are brand new and had forward assists and dust covers).

VLTOR MUR (billet upper) = 9.62oz
    Daniel Defense A4 upper (forged upper) = 8.57oz

I have a stripped large front hole Colt SP1 upper (no forward assist but with A1 type rear sight) that I'll weigh and post it's weight here. I'll also weigh one of my LaRue BUIS for you.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    you might try the maryland AR shooters msn page. they have a chart of all kinds of weights of things.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    you might try the maryland AR shooters msn page. they have a chart of all kinds of weights of things.
    Looks like you have to have a MSN account to view that stuff.

Rob the other day I weighed a couple of things remembering a thread you had about rail weight vs. handguard weight etc.

You may have already done this too.

FSB w/handguard cap 4.81oz
    BBLnut, weld spring, delta ring & snap ring 2.48oz
    Troy front sight 1.54oz
    VLTOR lo-pro set screw gas block 1.39oz

Troy rear sight 1.82oz

I didn't have a set of plastic handguards to weigh.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'd like to see us have a pinned thread or some kind of archive forum on this site for various weight and dimensional issues. I don't think we need to clutter up the forums with more tacked threads but maybe we could add another forum with threads for "information archive" or something.

Things like the "how to clean and lube an AR", the now infamous "rob chart", weights of various parts, etc.

I like to take pics anytime I weigh a part just because it's easy for me to document. and archive.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I agree, FF handguard weights for all manufacturers, all lengths, etc would be nice along with weights for uppers, bolts, buffers. I've seen some of all of these in different threads but to have it all compiled would be nice.

Feedback Score
    I apologize for hi-jacking but who makes DD uppers. Do they machine them in house or are they outsourced?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd like to see us have a pinned thread or some kind of archive forum on this site for various weight and dimensional issues. I don't think we need to clutter up the forums with more tacked threads but maybe we could add another forum with threads for "information archive" or something.

Things like the "how to clean and lube an AR", the now infamous "rob chart", weights of various parts, etc.

I like to take pics anytime I weigh a part just because it's easy for me to document. and archive.
    I think that a good idea. My scale doesn't go very high so I can't do barrels etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    I apologize for hi-jacking but who makes DD uppers. Do they machine them in house or are they outsourced?
    I'll have to look again (I was off Wed & Thurs), IIRC I think it was a Cerro forging. I don't know if DD does the final machining and anodizing in house or 'farms it out'. Their very good who's ever doing it. DDs are about the best looking forged upper receivers I've ever seen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I'll have to look again (I was off Wed & Thurs), IIRC I think it was a Cerro forging. I don't know if DD does the final machining and anodizing in house or 'farms it out'. Their very good who's ever doing it. DDs are about the best looking forged upper receivers I've ever seen.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to use DD upper for my next build.

Paul

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I got 9.00oz for a large hole SP1 upper w/rear sight and dust door installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast