Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "drop free" magazine/mag well capability doesn't make sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Who is "us" and "we"?
    User name is also a website. www.ColoCCW.com or www.FrontRangeTraining.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coloccw View Post
    Agreed. Yet, aren't those examples of things that "might" happen compared to "likely" to happen? The statement that you should train for things that are likely to happen vs. what might happen is very limiting. It means that you are trying to pre-determine what chaos is going to insert itself into your fight. We advocate getting out of that box, as I believe everyone else here is, by being prepared for any circumstance, solving it as efficiently as possible, and not confining yourself to what you think is likely to happen.

I think we are on the same page here, just the wording of that statement does not seem correct to us.
    I did not make the statement, and while the individual words might seem very close in definition, I have a feeling that in person the emphasis that is placed on the words and their implied definitions make it much less confusing. NCPatrolAR will have to speak as to his meaning.

As I see it:
    Train for the 99%, and know how to deal with the 1% in a timely manner.
    Don't break your carbine down and replace the firing pin when all you need to do is seat the mag and run the CH.

It seems like a lot of the dissenting opinons here are people delving into their favorite minutia. There are all kinds of things that can go wrong, but with the AR platform we know how to fix anything that is not an operating system part failure. If one action will solve the problem 99% of the time significantly faster than the action required to solve the 1%, I have to vote for the 99% solution. When the bullets are coming in, I want that gun up as quickly as possible, and if I have some doubt or indication that I need to perform the 1% reduction, I will.

Reducing stoppages is not a robotic, mindless response, but a human response to stimuli that through the training of simple, sound, effective skills in progressively higer stress environments results in effectiveness in combat. The techniques and concepts that I use, teach, and recommend are the ones that have been tested in training, validated in competition, and proven in gunfights; as should be those that are recommended by anyone else.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I think the reason why i prefer to quickly rip out an AR mag with my support hand is because I like to pull the rifle "inland", with the butt stock under my armpit or turned 90 degrees with the stock underneath my ribs. Either way, the muzzle is pointing up and that's when I hit the release button, thus, having the magazine hanging from the mag well.

This is a result of trying to use Kalashnikov manual of arms on the Stoner design.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    I think the reason why i prefer to quickly rip out an AR mag with my support hand is because I like to pull the rifle "inland", with the butt stock under my armpit or turned 90 degrees with the stock underneath my ribs. Either way, the muzzle is pointing up and that's when I hit the release button, thus, having the magazine hanging from the mag well.

This is a result of trying to use Kalashnikov manual of arms on the Stoner design.
    That's part of the reason why AK mag changes are significantly slower (for most people) than with an AR.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that one might consider using the Stoner manual of arms with a Stoner design.

That, by itself, may cut short this "let's say 'happy' instead of 'glad'" BS.

Lots of this would go away of folks could stop mimicking the European mindset of being technique-oriented, and decide to be Americans and get results-oriented.

Get the gun back up. Periodendofstory. Or maybe die. You may pick only one.
    Last edited by JSantoro; 10-15-10 at 23:58.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Lots of this would go away of folks could stop mimicking the European mindset of being technique-oriented, and decide to be Americans and get results-oriented.
    I think that's because Euro weapons have traditionally been too simple in design, resulting in an unergonomic weapon in which "technique" is a key component in getting the weapon back into the fight.

The American rifle is always evolving to accommodate anybody and everybody.

I've just been shooting the AK too long. I'll have to get used to the AR.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345