Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about A.R.M.S. #18 M-14 scope mount.

Feedback Score

Question about A.R.M.S. #18 M-14 scope mount.

Do these mounts have issues with being mounted to non-USGI M-14/M1a clone receivers?
    Issues as in the dimensions of the commercial receivers being out of spec enough to cause the scope to be at a different enough angle from the bore axis that the scope would be near or past it's windage and/or elevation adjustments.
    I have a Federal Ordnance (early USGI parts model) M-14 that I'd like to scope.

Thanks,
    AG42b

Feedback Score
    The issue is not with the mounts, rather with the receiver. I use ARMS mounts and rings on my SA M1A NM with no problems. I find it to be dependable and it is one of the lower bases on the market. There have been issues with out of spec receivers having problems with this and other mounts. Smths or Sadlack make a mount and kit that allows you to measure problems and send the mount back to the factory for adjustment at no extra charge. Maybe some one with experiance can chime in with more details.

Feedback Score
    Right now I'm seriously considering replacing that Fed. Ord. receiver with a better one and then put a scope on it. I'm finding out that there aren't many sources of M14 receivers at all, though.
    Thanks for the reply.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AG42b View Post
    Right now I'm seriously considering replacing that Fed. Ord. receiver with a better one and then put a scope on it. I'm finding out that there aren't many sources of M14 receivers at all, though.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Sounds like these days, having the GI parts is the bigger issue than a good receiver so you already have over half the battle won. What year is your Fed Ordinance? From what I understand, the quality of their rifles were from excellent to poor depending on year of manufacture with the early guns being the best. Of course you are going to find a good smith to build the gun for you as M14s aren't as easy to build as ARs Seems like the 7.62 and the LRB receivers are the best rated. If you haven't already checked out the M14FL forums you should as that is the place to go for all things M14.

I finally decided to try an ARMS 18 on my rifle, it should be delivered tomorrow so I'll happily report my results. I like the design better than the Brookfield based mounts due to the low profile but am concerned with fit as well as ejection issues. Seems it is kind of a craps shoot as to whether they will work with a receiver or not, but it seems that the earlier SAI receivers are better than the older. Mine is a 1993 gun. I ordered mine from Brownells who have a good return policy if this mount doesn't work out.
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply.
    http://www.lrbarms.com/home.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I've been to thier website. Those cost more than what I paid for the whole rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra66 View Post
    Sounds like these days, having the GI parts is the bigger issue than a good receiver so you already have over half the battle won. What year is your Fed Ordinance? From what I understand, the quality of their rifles were from excellent to poor depending on year of manufacture with the early guns being the best. Of course you are going to find a good smith to build the gun for you as M14s aren't as easy to build as ARs Seems like the 7.62 and the LRB receivers are the best rated. If you haven't already checked out the M14FL forums you should as that is the place to go for all things M14.

I finally decided to try an ARMS 18 on my rifle, it should be delivered tomorrow so I'll happily report my results. I like the design better than the Brookfield based mounts due to the low profile but am concerned with fit as well as ejection issues. Seems it is kind of a craps shoot as to whether they will work with a receiver or not, but it seems that the earlier SAI receivers are better than the older. Mine is a 1993 gun. I ordered mine from Brownells who have a good return policy if this mount doesn't work out.

I'll probably just stick with the Federal Ordnance receiver.
    Hey, it hasn't blown up yet
    My last thought on a scope mount has been a Sadlack. The steel one costs more than the ARMS #18 but for $45 more they'll custom fit it to the receiver. Thier aluminum one costs closer to the ARMS, though.
    By all means let us know how your ARMS mount works out.
    LRB would be a good choice for a replacent receiver but they're too expensive.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll probably just stick with the Federal Ordnance receiver.
    Hey, it hasn't blown up yet
    My last thought on a scope mount has been a Sadlack. The steel one costs more than the ARMS #18 but for $45 more they'll custom fit it to the receiver. Thier aluminum one costs closer to the ARMS, though.
    By all means let us know how your ARMS mount works out.
    LRB would be a good choice for a replacent receiver but they're too expensive.
    Thanks
    Will Do.

Like I said, check out M14FL forums and see where your FedOrd receiver sits in terms of build quality - you may very well have one of the good ones and in such case certainly no need to replace.

If you end up with a lot of money to spend and decide to go with an LRB then get the M25 version with the built in rail mount - that will take care of all concerns.

Concerning cost, it may be that you paid less for your Fed Ord than an LRB receiver runs today, but that was then and this is now. The GI parts on your rifle alone are worth far more than you paid for your rifle in the beginning!
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra66 View Post
    Will Do.

Like I said, check out M14FL forums and see where your FedOrd receiver sits in terms of build quality - you may very well have one of the good ones and in such case certainly no need to replace.

If you end up with a lot of money to spend and decide to go with an LRB then get the M25 version with the built in rail mount - that will take care of all concerns.

Concerning cost, it may be that you paid less for your Fed Ord than an LRB receiver runs today, but that was then and this is now. The GI parts on your rifle alone are worth far more than you paid for your rifle in the beginning!
    I joined M14FL on this past Sunday and did a lot of research and found a lot about Federal Ordnance. The general consensus is that the older ones made from USGI parts on a receiver made for those parts are good to go.
    I bought mine in 1997 for either $600 or $650 off of someone who bought guns but didn't shoot very much at all.
    I was happy as could be with it and even shot it in some NRA Hi-power matches and didnt do too bad at all.
    About then I started to find scathingly negative reviews from "experts" that swore they were too dangerous to consider shooting. I took that at face value and sort of set that rifle aside and haven't shot it very much since.
    Recently I've found a few reports online of individuals who claim they have had Fed. Ord. M14's blow up on them but mysteriously there are no details which makes it BS.
    In a nutshell I'll just keep that receiver.
    As for scope mounts I've been reading a lot of very promising reports on Sadlak so for now I'm looking in that direction.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I joined M14FL on this past Sunday and did a lot of research and found a lot about Federal Ordnance. The general consensus is that the older ones made from USGI parts on a receiver made for those parts are good to go.
    I bought mine in 1997 for either $600 or $650 off of someone who bought guns but didn't shoot very much at all.
    I was happy as could be with it and even shot it in some NRA Hi-power matches and didnt do too bad at all.
    About then I started to find scathingly negative reviews from "experts" that swore they were too dangerous to consider shooting. I took that at face value and sort of set that rifle aside and haven't shot it very much since.
    Recently I've found a few reports online of individuals who claim they have had Fed. Ord. M14's blow up on them but mysteriously there are no details which makes it BS.
    In a nutshell I'll just keep that receiver.
    As for scope mounts I've been reading a lot of very promising reports on Sadlak so for now I'm looking in that direction.
    Thanks.
    If your Fed Ord falls into the good category, then I'd run with it too. If not, you could probably sell the gun for parts for about what you paid for it and move on. A real quick way to check if you gun has GI parts is that GI parts will have a slightly green tint to the parkerization.

I looked very closely at the Sadlak mounts but I really want the low profile of the ARMS so that has led me to give it a try. Brownells should accept it back if it doesn't fit and then the Sadlak will be my next choice. The mount should have shown up by now, but I screwed up and specified UPS instead of USPS, so now I have to wait for them to "artificially" delay my order.
    Last edited by Cobra66; 10-19-10 at 19:29.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast