Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do newly manufactured SBRs go on a Form 1?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Do newly manufactured SBRs go on a Form 1?

When commercial manufactures (i.e. Colt, DD, BCM, Noveske etc.) create an SBR, that is not for govt. use, do they have to file a Form 1 and pay the $200 tax?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure as a manufacturer, the $200 tax stamp is waived. It is my understanding that the $200 NFA Tax Stamp is to paid by an individual.
    Last edited by C45P312; 07-13-13 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The Manufacturer pays a different type of tax for licensing. Form 1 is for when the firearm is sold to an individual buyer.
    Honesty, Honor, and Integrity Are Everything!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    OK, as an example, when Colt makes a new SBR, do they have to wait 6-8 months for the SBR to be registered before they can ship the rifle to their distributors?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Very interesting question, when I buy "factory" SBR's they're usually on a Form 3. At least that's how they transfer from dealer to dealer.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gashooter View Post
    The Manufacturer pays a different type of tax for licensing. Form 1 is for when the firearm is sold to an individual buyer.
    Not Form 1, Form 4

Quote Originally Posted by philcam View Post
    When commercial manufactures (i.e. Colt, DD, BCM, Noveske etc.) create an SBR, that is not for govt. use, do they have to file a Form 1 and pay the $200 tax?
    Form 2. Their SOT exempts them from $200 transfer tax.

Quote Originally Posted by themissinglink View Post
    Very interesting question, when I buy "factory" SBR's they're usually on a Form 3. At least that's how they transfer from dealer to dealer.
    You are mistaken. Unless you are a dealer your getting it on a Form 4
    Last edited by MarkG; 07-13-13 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themissinglink View Post
    Right. What I'm trying to get at is, are manufactures siting on hundreds of thousands of dollars of products because of the back log at the NFA branch?

One of the local distributors here told me Colt now has a minimum order of 300 rifles for the 6933. (Of course I can't verify this.) I can see this being a possibility if Colt (or any other manufacture) has to manufacture the new SBR. Next, store the rifle for 6-8 months while it waits on the ATF to add the gun to the registry. Then wait an additional 5-10 weeks for the ATF to approve the Form 3(s) to ship the rifles to the distributor(s). Then the rifle sits at a distributor for weeks for yet another Form 3 to the end dealer.

Your looking at at almost a year between manufacture and getting into the hands of a dealer. A year to a year and a half before the end user consumer gets the product all because of govt red tape.
    Last edited by philcam; 07-14-13 at 00:57.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by philcam View Post
    One of the local distributors here told me Colt now has a minimum order of 300 rifles for the 6933.
    Bald faced lie...

If you can't verify it, why regurgitate it?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    You are mistaken. Unless you are a dealer your getting it on a Form 4
    Dealer to dealer, Form 3. Dealer to end user (me) Form 4.

Feedback Score
    The manufactures fill out a Form 2 - Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported. They do not pay a tax on the firearms, as they have already payed their yearly SOT tax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast