Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 300 AAC BLACKOUT

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I did a little shooting today with the Whisper. I call it that since my barrel came from SSK. I haven’t been able to work with it for a while but have been collecting samples here and there of some of the newer commercially loaded ammo in .300 Blackout. I have cast the chamber in this barrel and have found it identical to two Blackout chambers in the freebore and throat, although mine is .003-.004 tighter in the body, which has been an occasional problem, but not really a Blackout vs/ Whisper one.

I also shot several handloads and chronographed them until something awful happened to my chrono that I do not wish to elaborate on , other than to say, this was the first time it ever happened.

Nothing too serious, 28 yards from bags. But this one has an 8 ½” barrel and an Insight MRDS sight. At the last minute I cobbled something on that actually kinda worked…… probably helped me tighten up the groups a little. More on that below.

First pic, left target, three touching and one out, handloads with 110 VMax and H110. Looks like most people are un-recommending H110 but I have some to get rid of. Middle target, 220 grain Outlaw State bullets, also with H110, that’s 10 shots. Two had the soft exposed lead tip rather banged up from misfeeds. Guess I need to work with the seating length on these some more, or they just aren’t going to work in an AR. Right target, the “Gunn” brand Blackout ammo using the 130 grain SOST bullet, supersonic. The yellow shape shows exactly how the reticule appeared to me through the aforementioned cobbled together setup.

Back to the cobbled-up-ness. It was far from ideal and of course not street or competition worthy, but it did the deal as an exercise in….. not sure what. Please sit down before viewing:

Last pic, top to bottom, Sierra 240 SMK; solid copper bullet I got from SSK, turned, drilled, and split for four petals, 200 grains (Lehigh I believe); bottom, the Outlaw 220 which has its jacket scored all the way to the rebated boat tail and the top 1/3 of the core is in four separate pieces. I’ve shot these into gel and they show some promise. On the left, one of the Lehighs, shot into water. This was the first round after shooting some 210 grain cast bullets.

Feedback Score
    Ned, that is some truly outstanding WECSOG optic mounting. Thumbs up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm debating whether or not to ask what that stands for.....

OK, what's it stand for?

Feedback Score
    My favorite:

Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing.

The photo does not show it, but that setup has ACME written all over it.

Feedback Score
    How are those non-pointed bullets feeding? I think you called it the outlaw 220? What do your cast bullets look like? Are you using round/flat 30-30 bullets? I’m not sure what would be better as far as the terminal ballistics are concerned but I think the round nose bullets have a higher subsonic ballistic coefficients than those pointy OTM rounds.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've used several cast bullets but the Lyman 311284 has been the best one:
    http://www.westernbullet.com/ly3gr4.html

210 grains, gas checked.

I've used a a few Westerns in .45 too. The quality is always there and I think the prices are good.

WECSOG, that's great! Is it just me or does my yellowed-in reticule outline look kinda like a road runner?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here's the Outlaw State Bullets site. I think they see what's needed and are addressing it. Might not be the end state but I was pleased to see that someone is on it. On page 5 of this thread, about a year ago, I posted a pic of some of the OS bullets fired into gel.

http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html

I'm not assosciated with Outlaw State Bullets in any way, never met them. Bought some of their bullets and paid the long price for them. I just thought they were worth exploring since overpenetration with subsonics was the first and biggest obstacle to this caliber for some applications.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nincomp View Post
    My favorite:

You are correct, I approve.

Sincerely,
    Wile E. Coyote
    Super Genius

Feedback Score
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nincomp View Post
    My favorite:

You are correct, I approve.

Sincerely,
    Wile E. Coyote
    Super Genius
    Wow! This is like being spoken to by a god!

Jim

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314