Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land nav. books

Feedback Score

Land nav. books

Im looking for a book covering the basics of land nav and map reading and could use some suggestions.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    These are the books that seem to always be setting out on my desk.

FM 3-25.26

UTM: Using your GPS with the Universal Transverse Mercator Coordinate System

The Essential Wilderness Navigator: How to Find Your Way in the Great Outdoors

Wilderness Navigation: Finding Your Way Using Map, Compass, Altimeter & Gps

GPS Land Navigation (Ferguson)

Wilderness Navigation Handbook (Touche)

Land Navigation Handbook: The Sierra Club Guide to Map, Compass and GPS

Some of them are better than others, mostly just a matter of personal preference and what you are already know. Please feel free to ask any questions you have, this is a subject that I really enjoy.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Im also i need of a decent compass, maybe something in the 20 to 30 dollar range if there are any.

Other than ordering or downloading from USGS is there a good place to get topo maps from? I only own a standard size letter printer so i wouldnt be able to print myself anything that doesnt fit on 8.5x11.

Ive had my eye on the garmin 62 series for a little while, again any suggestions on consumer grade gps?
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsgard View Post
    Im also i need of a decent compass, maybe something in the 20 to 30 dollar range if there are any.

Ive had my eye on the garmin 62 series for a little while, again any suggestions on consumer grade gps?
    For a compass, try the Cammenga US Military Compass. You can buy the non tritium model for like $40

Here is the gear I had during my last Land Nav:

Military protractor. Try your local Army Navy store.

Garmin Foretrex wrist GPS (Borrowed from a buddy. I was impressed)

Get a good ABC watch. I use a Highgear Altiforce Tactical. Most of my unit uses either a Casio Pathfiner or Suunto X.

The GPS was literally there just for backup, because I didn't want to be a lost dumbass. However, it contained a ton of valuable info.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    The Brunton Adventure Racing Compass and the Silva Ranger are really nice(Ranger is a little bit higher $). The Ranger also has the signaling mirror that has slot cut into it for sighting. Put a set of pacing beads on it and you're gtg.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsgard View Post

Other than ordering or downloading from USGS is there a good place to get topo maps from? I only own a standard size letter printer so i wouldnt be able to print myself anything that doesnt fit on 8.5x11.

I am with you. Where can you get good topos? I have depended on a GPS for to long and need to brush up on my old skills.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    I am with you. Where can you get good topos? I have depended on a GPS for to long and need to brush up on my old skills.
    The Google

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Get a good ABC watch. I use a Highgear Altiforce Tactical. Most of my unit uses either a Casio Pathfiner or Suunto X.
    What is an "ABC watch"? ...or perhaps what features are you referring to?
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Altimeter, Barometer, Compass (ABC)
    None of which are precise but good enough to help with generalities.

Compasses - The orienteering compasses noted above are more user friendly and versatile than the Cammenga. I still have a Cammenga but its the old 11B in me that keeps it for nostalgia. With useage of topos and UTM the orienteering compass wins hands down. Cheap and easily carried also.

Books -
    Kjellstroms "Be an expert with Map & Compass" is still a great place
    to start.
    Also on the shelf currently are Wilderness Navigation by Burns, The Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Navigation by Barnes, Churchill & Jacobson and Outdoor Nav with GPS by Hinch. All decent references and helpful with GPS usage.

Kifaru's website also has some great land nav articles on it. Very well written and easy to understand.

UTM grid reader - www.maptools.com great site and great prices you can get mgrs or lat/long also if that floats your boat.

Online maps - I find that the map pass ($29.95 per year) at mytopo.com works for me. For Search & Rescue my group uses the mytopo Terrain Navigator Pro, really lets you modify the maps but like I said map pass does what I need.

Consumer Grade GPS - Garmin 60CSx is the heat.
    Last edited by vaspence; 10-14-10 at 13:32. Reason: added info

Feedback Score
    You got a lot of good feedback here... I will throw in to check some of your local sporting goods and outdoor stores, some of them will have a kind of "kiosk" topo map printing station. They are spendy (like 7.00 a sheet) but you can print out exactly what you want and the size and quality of the maps are very good.

As for compasses, I use Brunton and Silva... I like to lean towards the US made stuff though. I would say you want a see-through "base plate" compass, I like the mirror but that is up to you. You for sure want one that is adjustable for declination, not just a declination scale. I hardly ever use the scale on the baseplate and rely on a seperate UTM scale. Other doo-dads like bubble levels and inclinometers are nice for advanced navigation, but most people can do just fine without them.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast