Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: M4carbine.net new member assumptions

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Lest this go too far afield, those who know me know that it is in my nature to infuse humor into just about everything, so I'm just about the last guy that would take issue with a lighthearted post. My point was/is simply that if the majority of your posting activity here consists of making jokes, adding snarky comments or lacing your replies with emoticons, then you're setting the conditions for trouble, even if you yourself aren't the source of it.

No one is saying that an established member with a history of solid contribution can't enjoy a laugh with the boys. All we're saying is that when this kind of activity becomes the mainstay of why you're here and just about the only thing you're adding to the mix, things are out of balance. The next thing you know, we're awash in new members who simply want to join in the fun, know or care very little about our any of our core topics, and who somehow manage to rocket to 1,000 posts without ever having taken part in a single substantive discussion. That may be the norm elsewhere, but it is not OK here.

The moral of the story? All things in moderation.

AC
    Last edited by Army Chief; 10-20-10 at 06:16.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Will revisit this in another day or two, prune it down, and lock it so the original message isn't lost in collateral discussion. No worries.

AC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As one who has been here, to some degree, soon after M4C began, in various levels of participation over the years, I want to take this opportunity to THANK all the Mods, Senior Members, Industry Professionals, and knowledgeable regular members for making M4C the place for LEARNING and ASKING genuine "I don't know, guide me" questions. When I have a question I cannot figure out using my own firing dendrites or I am clueless why something is the way it is, I ask it here! And in hindsight, I often see how some of my questions must have caused a few rolling eyes from the experienced among us, but I have acquired more TRUE KNOWLEDGE about AR's, pistols, other assault weapons, tactics, training, and gear here in M4C than any other site combined, even after almost two decades at TOS. (victim of its own success, once a great place to learn)

So I encourage all those who make M4C the "go to place" for answers (you know who you are) to continue in active participation, to dig deep for patience with those who still don't get it but have potential (as we all were "that guy" at one time, if even while in the service), and to even chase off the riff-raff that have shown themselves devoid of any constructive purpose before they chase off the anchors, the bedrock that make M4C what it is. For example, Pat Rogers once frequented TOS often, now gone... M4C has lost a few as well... often due to lack of time, I know, but still a loss none the less...

And I am glad to see this "New to Firearms/Shooting: section pop up as I too was seeing a lot of newb posts hitting town, some of it littering the GF and AR15 forums... I will try to assist these newb's the best I can with the limited knowledge I have, without putting my own ignorance on display...

For me, just like those who continue to put on the APPLESEED training, I see the future of this country, and this section of the firearm industry, inescapably attached to growing up WELL TRAINED individuals and correcting those who still are cluless but willing to learn. The more our ranks swell with TRAINED, KNOWLEDEABLE riflemen, the better we all are, and the brighter our future looks (in spite of what we see now).

And who would have thought Rob_s to be such a sophist...

Rmpl
    Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 10-24-10 at 08:57.
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Rob, I knew I liked this forum better than the other one; and it didn't take long to figure it out.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    An excellent rule to live by is:
    James 1:19 - Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.
    I enjoy the culture of M4C as it patterns my favorite verse.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    Rob, I knew I liked this forum better than the other one; and it didn't take long to figure it out.
    If only the OP still applied...

Now instead we are supposed to molly-coddle those that post pictures of a "build" with "the best parts" but no experience with the platform, ignore patently ridiculous posts from other members simply because they've been here awhile, but attack the personality of anyone that may have something pertinent to say simply because we don't like them, or the way they say it, or the fact that what they are presenting may make our previous statements look a little silly. Oh, and buy triggers, benchrest guns, magnified optics, and muzzle brakes. For our twice yearly trips to the static range.

welcome to arfcom, 2.0.

Feedback Score
    My problem is when I ask a somewhat newbie question...usually about parts fit or quality...not about cosmetics...LOL...I don't know who on this website to believe.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: M4carbine.net new member assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    My problem is when I ask a somewhat newbie question...usually about parts fit or quality...not about cosmetics...LOL...I don't know who on this website to believe.
    Therein lies the value of the the search button. Immediately accessible verification of information.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    As a new member of this site since 03/14 I can offer my own personal observations. First and foremost, I can clearly see there are individuals here that know far more about the AR platform than I. As such... my outlook has been to "actually read" and learn as much as I can prior to asking a question. Yes at times, I'll read a post and wonder ... why was it closed or why was the answer one in which I did not expect. The reality of the situation is this... I'm learning. I may feel an answer was short and it may be one I don't agree with but at the end of the day.... I'm here to learn and not let my emotions believe I've been butt hurt!! Plain and simple.

We all learn from those who have gone before us.
    Last edited by C4LT1; 10-24-14 at 21:28.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234