Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: M4carbine.net new member assumptions

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SE FL
    Posts
    14,148
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks guys, and thanks for unlocking. I'd like to see this turn into some discussion with a way for new member to "get to know us". Things like search before posting, read more than post, etc. are all general internet forum issues, and we should try to constrain this thread to specific talk about what makes M4C unique and what new members might expect about the culture of the site that may help them find their way here.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    80
    Feedback Score
    0
    Having been a part of a number of forums, I have seen this particular phenomenon happen pretty frequently. I don't think that Rob has bad advice; quite the contrary in fact. However, I think that a lot of this is preaching to the choir as it were.

    In my short time here, I mostly keep my yap shut and try to absorb as much sage advice as I can. I know how to use the search function and have handled a few of my own questions via well placed pm's to knowledgable individuals. It doesn't take long on a forum to figure out who those people are. I don't have any evidential proof to verify this, but I would surmise that a good many of your newer members fall into this pattern. There are always going to be those noisy few who like the sound of their own voice (virtually speaking) and blurt out the first question that pops into their head without using the search function. Maybe they are lazy or they are just horrible at boolean logic; who knows.

    The optimist in me hopes that everyone would read Rob's post and benefit from it. There is good forum etiquette here that transcends M4C. On the other hand, the skeptic in me has seen forums with stickies a mile long of MUST READ INFO for newbies that goes largely ignored by everyone but the choir.

    Forums have a personality unique to each board. Anyone who doesn't take the time to get to know the forum isn't going to take the time to sort through mountains of incredibly valuable information to learn something. Laziness and entitlement permeate all aspects of our culture, so it is no surprise to see it here. I would suggest that if folks get their knickers in a wad or get their feelings hurt on an internet forum then decide to take their ball and go home...well, good riddance. Some folks need a ration of shit or a frequent reality check.

    For the most part, this site is largely devoid of the drama queen shit I've seen on other sites. This is a good place and thanks to the tireless efforts of Rob and others it will continue to be such.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,870
    Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Thanks guys, and thanks for unlocking. I'd like to see this turn into some discussion with a way for new member to "get to know us". Things like search before posting, read more than post, etc. are all general internet forum issues, and we should try to constrain this thread to specific talk about what makes M4C unique and what new members might expect about the culture of the site that may help them find their way here.


    In that case there are 2 things that pop to mind for me that seperates this forum from others.


    1. If you ask a question or somebody answers a question the vast majority of the time the result is going to be first hand experience from people who have quality information to share. Theres not too much blank noise around here, and supposed "info" coming from people who you later find out have 200rds through the gun.

    2. The site is small enough its easier to keep track of people, and people don't really get lost in the fold of things. You can get to know people just by reading their posts. You don't really open up a thread, and 90% of the posts are from people you've never heard of before. I spent a lot of time on TOS and never really got to know anyone. Since Ive contributed here Ive talked to other members on the phone, gone shooting with them, PM's, pay it forwards, ect. Part of that, too, is you get more industry type people posting per capita than other sites. If Kevin B or Todd from Noveske posted on another site it tends to get lost in the fold but here they have a bigger voice, and people tend to listen.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    1,250
    Feedback Score
    0
    My issue is not with the 10 post guy who asks what carbon scraper or brand of accuwedge to buy.

    It is with the 100 to 300 post dim wit who defends the guy's question and thinks telling carbon scraper/accuwedge boy the truth is "too harsh".

    I know there is a movement on M4C to just ignore obvious ARFCOM-style posters, but the problem is, if you don't set the tone immediately, they WILL end up taking over the forum, as is evidenced by the increased volume of "how do I fix this itty bitty cosmetic boo boo on my blem lower?"/"Will brand X upper color match my brand Y lower?"/"Does this set of rails make my ass look fat?" style of posts.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    173
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

    Well Said

    First post......I spent time reading the 60+ page "Chart" thread and countless other by threads by several Industry Professional, Vendors, Manf. and learned a lot, still learning and won't stop learning.

    Thanks for putting your knowledge out there to learn from.

    Back to taking notes.

    SkyLine1

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    896
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    very well said rob.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.


    If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    24,902
    Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You make a very solid point.

    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    My issue is not with the 10 post guy who asks what carbon scraper or brand of accuwedge to buy.

    It is with the 100 to 300 post dim wit who defends the guy's question and thinks telling carbon scraper/accuwedge boy the truth is "too harsh".

    I know there is a movement on M4C to just ignore obvious ARFCOM-style posters, but the problem is, if you don't set the tone immediately, they WILL end up taking over the forum, as is evidenced by the increased volume of "how do I fix this itty bitty cosmetic boo boo on my blem lower?"/"Will brand X upper color match my brand Y lower?"/"Does this set of rails make my ass look fat?" style of posts.



    Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

    Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    660
    Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Well said. People need to be a little less thin-skinned. When SMEs and IPs weigh in, it's not for an ego trip; it's actual advice and objective recommendations.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    7,126
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    at the same time, its still quite possible to correct someone, even flick them shit, and still be decent about it.

    don't allow bullshit, but dont be an ass... shades of gray, gentlemen.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SE FL
    Posts
    14,148
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC Nubby View Post
    Having been a part of a number of forums, I have seen this particular phenomenon happen pretty frequently. I don't think that Rob has bad advice; quite the contrary in fact. However, I think that a lot of this is preaching to the choir as it were.
    I want to stress again that this thread is not about generic "use the search button newb" kinds of forum ettiquete.

    This thread is about describing the culture and attitude of M4C for new posters to better understand the kinds of answers they're likely to get to their questions. It also isn't about a tacked post that they will hopefully read as much as it's about an archived thread that members can throw up links to when new posters seem confused.

    My, perhaps arrogant, hope is that between this, Go Shoot the Gun, and An Un-qualified Opinion we have a repository of threads we can link new posters to that help them better utilize the knowledgebase that is unique to M4C.

    I couldn't care less about teaching people forum etiquette.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •