Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M4carbine.net new member assumptions

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I know there is a movement on M4C to just ignore obvious ARFCOM-style posters, but the problem is, if you don't set the tone immediately, they WILL end up taking over the forum ...
    This is indeed an important thought, as seemingly innocuous forms of participation that pass for the norm elsewhere are often viewed as destructive and at-odds with our aims here.

Posters of the "that is totally the most bad azz awesome-looking boomstick ever" ilk damage the board in two ways: (1) they disrupt the flow of serious discussion with empty, juvenile banter (i.e. the proliferation of senseless white noise), and (2) they draw in others with a similar mindset, whose posting practices are likewise devoid of any substantive value (i.e. the replication and breeding of assclowns). The membership base at M4C views this kind of posting activity as subversive, no matter how benign the intent, because it drives away serious-minded professionals who make a forum like this one worthwhile. The site staff and mods exist to protect and serve the interests of this base.

We all understand that sometimes a post is just a post, and not every missive is going to contain some deep insight or great revelation; that said, the larger pattern of participation must be toward substantive contribution. By this, we mean that we expect our fellow members to pause for just a moment before hitting the "post" button to consider whether what they are about to add contributes to the discussion in a meaningful way, advances our collective body of knowledge, or legitimately assists another member.

So, what kinds of self-checks can help a newer member stay on azimuth?

If you're in the habit of adding posts which could be excised from a thread without taking anything away from the discussion, you're doing something wrong.

If you're enthusiastic about a given product, vendor or service to the point of wearing a "fanboy" label, you're doing something wrong.

If you aren't paying attention to what you are communicating with your language, or are careless in your use of profanity, you're doing something wrong.

If you are having a hard time accepting that some gear/gun choices are inferior to others, you're doing something wrong.

If you're argumentative, or disrespectful to another member, you're doing something wrong.

If you're posting just you're bored, lonely, or have nothing better to do, you're doing something wrong.

If you're leaving others with the impression that your experience base is confined to video gaming, an Airsoft militia, or high school, you're doing something wrong.

If you're dispensing advice on a topic or situation in which you have no first-hand knowledge, you're doing something wrong.

If you're working on your post count with an eye toward getting your numbers up, you're doing something wrong.

Now, we're not really about the "don't" list around here, of course, but often people can't begin to assimilate the right standards until they see some of the wrong ones spelled out. With this in mind, one can rightly infer that adding posts which play a legitimate role in conversational development, are measured in their tone, intelligently-worded and underpinned by your own experience will always be very well-received.

M4C is different, and the difference is deliberate. If that makes no sense to you, or you view it as unnecessarily hard-edged, then accessing the forums in a read-only mode is adviseable. We have no wish to create an offense nor to be unkind about it, but the mindset and culture of the site will be safeguarded -- at your expense, if necessary.

If this does make perfect sense to you, and you are resolved to be a serious student of the defensive use of fighting arms as working tools, then we are unquestionably a stronger resource with you here. Welcome!

AC
    Last edited by Army Chief; 10-16-10 at 11:11.

Feedback Score
    I know we don't want to just turn this into a "gripe-fest" type thread, but I count myself guilty of having less than ideal emotive control.

One thing that I have a harder and harder time suppressing, is the desire to post in some of the "For Sale" threads, where someone has obviously read a little, learned that their "Brand X" carbine is actually a POS, and is trying to unload it here, for more than the price of a new BCM or Spike's Tactical, much less a decent S&W.

I can think of several recent For Sale posts where I restrained myself and walked away wondering what kind of crack the OP was smoking....

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm new to M4C and have taken the time to read as many stickies and threads as possible. I'm also a member and moderator on a couple of other forums. One thing I have noticed here is that M4C is a no nonsense, no BS site. The knowledge base here is unbelievable!! Before I came here, like many others out there, I had not heard of BCM, DD or Noveske. I knew about LMT, LWRC, BM, DPMS and of course COLT but had no clue about the others. My initial foray into M4C was after I had purchased a Ruger 556c. I have since sold it and purchased a BCM 14.5" middy upper and put it on a LMT lower with a Geiselle SSA trigger. I would have had no clue about doing any of that had I not found M4C. Thankfully I didn't end up losing money on the sale of my Ruger compared to the purchase of my new weapon. The way I have it setup is the result of reading many different threads here.

To be honest with you I have had a few questions similar to others here and have not asked them because of the responses those that have asked those type questions have received. The answers can be harsh and straight forward at times but they have actually help me. Not the answers themselves but the tone of the answers that is. I've made sure to do my homework before asking a question. 95% 0f the time the info I am seeking, is here somewhere. If I can't find what I am looking for and ask a question and someone jumps my case I'm one to ignore the tone and gleen whatever info I can that helps. There are some here who I've noticed that all they provide is with a negative tone. There are others that may give answers in a harsh tone but the actual answers have a ton of info and experience behind them. I usually find them to be the most thought provocking. I've browsed through a couple of other AR sites but have dismissed them all but here. Not that they aren't worth the time it's just that all I need so far is here. I like the straight forward, no nonsense, needs based, personal experience based answers and information available here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I know there is a movement on M4C to just ignore obvious ARFCOM-style posters, but the problem is, if you don't set the tone immediately, they WILL end up taking over the forum, as is evidenced by the increased volume of "how do I fix this itty bitty cosmetic boo boo on my blem lower?"/"Will brand X upper color match my brand Y lower?"/"Does this set of rails make my ass look fat?" style of posts.
    And here I thought I just needed more exercise.....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    If you're in the habit of adding posts which could be excised from a thread without taking anything away from the discussion, you're doing something wrong.
    Jake's Dad, this is exactly what AC is referring to.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    while jake's dad's comment was a little on the lame side, we do still need room for comic relief.

this is what the moderators exist for- to guide the board into what it should be. if people are making a lot of dumb comments, it's for moderators to take notice and try to curb it a bit. it's all fine and well for people to chime in here and state their utopian vision of the future of m4c, but keep in mind we're all from different walks.

i don't need to state how much i love this board- it's obvious by my post count. i hope that the vast majority of those posts have been intelligent and purposeful- i try to keep it that way. some of them have been purely to poke fun at something or have been a funny picture that somehow applies to what we're talking about. personally, i love and need humor- i'll make jokes at a funeral (and, in fact, have). if i can't throw a joke post up now and then, m4 isn't going to be worth as much to me.. and i imagine the same can be said for thousands of other members.

it's true we're in the middle of another hump of dumb threads/dumb posts... not sure why it comes and goes like it does, but it does go. don't sweat it so much- nobody's gonna let this board become arfcom.

no disrespect intended to the OP, but maybe instead of these drama-filled threads on how m4 is turning into arfcom we seem to have about every 6 months, we should all remember our commitment to mentorship a lot of us made after the last drama. if posters are posting dumb shit, send them a PM. it's the moderators job to moderate- but it's just as much the job of senior members to contribute where they can. i do it all the time- there's people in this very thread i've sent "cool it" PMs to. i try to be diplomatic, and it's usually well received. im not special- it just works. try it.

i think the OP's OP is fine as a stand alone, for what it was intended to be. good points, good consolidated mission-statement-esque post for new posters. i'd sticky it and lock this thread, before we get any more whining.

viva la m4c
    Last edited by bkb0000; 10-19-10 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I agree, humor is part of any healthy community. but in the midst of a serious discussion?

I used to enjoy reading the content of this site. not so much anymore. I am saddened because there is alot of good info here. there's alot of good info here that hasn't been touched upon yet. and there's alot of good questions that have yet to be asked. I hope that we can, as a community, start threads and ask questions that illicit thoughtful responses by our membership and more interaction by our SME's and IP's.

humor and jokes that don't have bearing on the discussion, should go in the GD. humor and jokes that emphasize points or ideas that are relevant to AR/handgun/tech/training discussions are more than welcome by me.

my two cent's worth.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 10-19-10 at 19:10.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    My post was playing on that......

Feedback Score
    I agree, humor is part of any healthy community. but in the midst of a serious discussion?
    I'm sorry....I didn't realize that fat ass comment was part of the serious discussion.

I'll work on my ninja humor detection skills........

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    no disrespect intended to the OP, but maybe instead of these drama-filled threads on how m4 is turning into arfcom we seem to have about every 6 months, we should all remember our commitment to mentorship a lot of us made after the last drama. if posters are posting dumb shit, send them a PM. it's the moderators job to moderate- but it's just as much the job of senior members to contribute where they can. i do it all the time- there's people in this very thread i've sent "cool it" PMs to. i try to be diplomatic, and it's usually well received. im not special- it just works. try it.
    This thread is not meant as "woe is the forum" thread. I'm out of the "save m4c club" and instead am happy with "whatever will be will be". If people took it as one, or are trying to make it one, then I hope it stops.

i think the OP's OP is fine as a stand alone, for what it was intended to be. good points, good consolidated mission-statement-esque post for new posters. i'd sticky it and lock this thread, before we get any more whining.
    Yes, the intention here was to provide a message to new members that hopefully helped explain some of the replies they get to some of their questions. It wasn't a reaction to their being here, or their questions, but more of a PSA to help them put the answers they get in context.

Unfortunately the thread turned into a bit of a bitch fest to some degree, and then I don't know what the hell the "no jokes in a serious thread" discussion has to do with anything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast