Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAL modern "carbine"?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

FAL modern "carbine"?

The FAL is a battle prove design that looks like it's getting a modern make over via companies such DSA (www.dsarms.com) and others?

Below is a vid on from Shooting Gallery (a generally silly show on OLN) that shows some of the modern FAL versions, making it look similar to modern M4s:

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-fal...-gallery/1245/

So, we have a very tested design, with modern concepts added, to give us the best of all worlds or fresh paint on outdated design and something like the FN SCAR "heavy" a better option?

Thoughts, experiences, etc?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got two DSA's.
    First one is about 12 years old or so. 20" SA58. It's got about 3k rounds thru it. I used to shoot this a ton, but then I got a bit more into the AR's. Great shooter. Took the integrated bipod off (it's still on in this pic) and reduced the front end weight considerably. Bought a shorter break for it, but I've never had the heart to remove the one that's on it because it just plain looks cool. (even though it's long as hell)

Came across this little gem at a local pawn shop. The shop owner ordered it for a guy but he backed out of the deal so I got it for a good price. It now has a AFG and a TR-24R riding on it. I shoot this one quite a bit. Did have to send it back to DSA for some work though. After the first 300 or so rounds it had a small problem... (see below). A piece of the bolt carrier decided that it was no longer interested in a long term relationship with the rest of the rifle and fled the scene during a string of fire. DSA was quick to make it right and I've had no problems with it since. I just really wish someone would make an extended ambi-safety for the FAL. If they did, I'd probably shoot it a whole lot more.

Overall, I like both of these rifles. I am thinking about trying to reduce the weight on the Para but haven't researched enough to find out what I can do to the railed fore-end while still maintaining a spot for the AFG.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    The FAL is a battle prove design that looks like it's getting a modern make over via companies such DSA (www.dsarms.com) and others?

Below is a vid on from Shooting Gallery (a generally silly show on OLN) that shows some of the modern FAL versions, making it look similar to modern M4s:

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-fal...-gallery/1245/

So, we have a very tested design, with modern concepts added, to give us the best of all worlds or fresh paint on outdated design and something like the FN SCAR "heavy" a better option?

Thoughts, experiences, etc?
    No experience with them but having considered picking one up myself for some time, I've spent hours reading feedback on various forums:

People tend to regard them as fairly reliable, effective battle rifles but they lack the ergonomics and accuracy of something like the Scar. The big upside to the FAL seems to be the relative abundance of inexpensive spare parts and magazines. As for DSA, there seems to have in the last couple years had a notable uptick in QC issues with some having to send their rifles back, but others have had no issues. I think there is a sticky at the top of this subforum that contains a write up by Larry Vickers, which is a very good read.

EDIT: Here's the thread (Actually is under 'Other Assault Rifles' where I'm guessing this may end up being moved as well):
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30851

I'm looking at a 308 myself and am still leaning to the SR25 EMC or Scar 17S over the FAL as I want something a bit more accurate and with less potential for QC issues. Probably going towards the SR25 as the lack of civilian support from FN, including the inability to get magazines, is kind of a big deal to me.

Btw, was interesting to see you here Will. In a former life (and screenname) was a heavy poster on various weightlifting/bodybuilding boards, including Lyle McDonald's. Always have enjoyed your work.
    Last edited by zacbol; 10-15-10 at 12:10.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    I noticed that DS Arms is now selling a 16 inch "para" barrel, the originals were 18 inches, which I have on my FAL.

The FAL is the rifle that makes one wonder why the AR-10 types exist.

Pat

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Might have better luck moving this over to the "Other Assault Rifles" section.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33079
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Overall, I like both of these rifles. I am thinking about trying to reduce the weight on the Para but haven't researched enough to find out what I can do to the railed fore-end while still maintaining a spot for the AFG.
    You might want to check out the Vltor CASV FAL rails, very nice pieces. They make the FAL look a bit more modern too when in place.

http://www.vltorstore.com/products/C...andguards.html

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Might have better luck moving this over to the "Other Assault Rifles" section.
    Done.

AC

Feedback Score
    I loved the rifle. I hated running the rifle. I just could never warm up to the controls. I replaced mine with an MWS.

Feedback Score
    Be careful with FN FAL/L1A1 on the used market alot of them are frankenstein builds and as a whole if it says Heese on the upper receiver just put the gun down no matter what the prices. I have an L1A1 that runs now but it took some mods to run 100%. It was built on a Centry (SP?) reciever buy somebody, I bought it used. If you can find a used one with Imbel or Springfield on the side buy it. The Imbel's are some of the best recievers short of FN. The Springfields where also build on Imbel recievers and are factory build, SAR 48 or the SAR 4800. One of them is pre-ban and the other was during the ban. The parts for FAL are drying up and it's worse for L1A1. But magazine are still out there. Magazines are about ~$20 per.

DS Arms is kind of hard to get parts out of since they make most if not all the parts themselves, that is to say it sometime takes some time. I have looked at DS Arms many times just could not being myself to spend that much money on a gun that shoots 1 MOA on a VERY good day to 2-4 MOA on the rest of the days. That being said there are a very good Minute of Bad Guy gun. Just ask the Aussize, New Zealand, guys that where in the Congo...

Go to the FAL Files to learn ALOT about the FAL familiy.http://www.falfiles.com

Just remember that they are biased towards building/restoring then they training/tactics/using.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    They will still kill people today just as well as they have for the past 60 years.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast