Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bolt action rimfires

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

bolt action rimfires

Anyone like .17HMRs?

I have a CZ 452 Varmint but I've only put about 300 rounds through it. It shoots REALLY flat out to 100yds. And don't shoot it on .22 steel. I did on a buddies, it dimpled it pretty bad just from shear velocity. I used the spring kit available here http://cz452.com/springkit.html to get the trigger down to a very nice and crisp 1.5lbs. I'm running a Leupold Rifleman 4-12x 50mm scope on it in Burris rings and a Harris bipod.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No experience with the 17 HMR or some of the newer 17 cal rimfires, but I do have about six years running a basic CZ 452 Standard (Lux with beech stock).

It's accuracy is amazing. I've left my trigger stock but adjusted its pull down to about 2.5 lbs.

Feedback Score
    I run a Ruger 17/HM2 with a GM fluted 16" SS sporter in the factory walnut and a 4X Leupy
    for various varmints around 'the yard'...run Ely & Remington (same company)
    happy with the dead varmints (grackles) it takes care of (shoot this inside 35 yards)

I also run a 10/22 mag had the receiver 'Metacol'd added a Magnum Research CF barrel in a Hogue stock with a leupy 6X42 on top for larger vermin..on possum
    coons skunks groundhogs it works well (only shot inside 100 yds with it)

Wouldn't want to give up either one...both fun to shoot
    It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.

Feedback Score
    I have a CZ 452 "Scout" in .22LR with a Pentax 1.5-5X scope. It's incredibly accurate, especially with Wolf Target. You'd be hard pressed to find a .22LR any more accurate for less than five times what this thing cost me ($199 a few years ago).

I've learned a lot about rifle marksmanship with it, especially about trigger control and follow-through while shooting offhand. Those are a lot easier when shooting from a support position, but not so much when you're shooting offhand. It's a good way to experience for yourself that trigger control and follow-through are more important than a perfect sight picture or being able to hold rock steady.

And they're cheap to feed. Firing 200 rounds of .22LR through a bolt gun is a LOT of shooting for an afternoon, especially if you're making each and every shot count.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    +1 on Wolf Match Target and Wolf Match Extra. They are the made by SK Jagd in Germany. SK is Lapua's German subsidiary.

My Anschutz prone rifle loves Match Extra.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've been wanting to pick up a CZ 452 in .22lr for a while now, but other stuff keeps coming up....

Nice set up man!
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've got a Remington 541 T-HB with a VXII 6-18x in Burris posi rings.

Has abolt like a Remington 788, witht he lugs in the rear.

I really need to get it out and shoot it more.

Bob

Feedback Score
    I know it's fun to shoot self-loading rimfires, but to me the bolt action really connects me to the act of shooting more so than using a self-load. I suppose it's related to the pace of the shooting where you're shooting just one shot at a time instead of knowing you're going to be doing many more with just a press of the trigger.

I can work the bolt pretty fast, but the actual shooting is far more deliberate for me when I use my CZ 452 Scout. Perhaps that's why 200 rounds feels like a lot of shooting to me, because I spend so much mental effort on each shot. I realize I could do exactly the same thing with a self-loader, but it just wouldn't feel the same to me.

Feedback Score
    Got a Remington 513-T with Williams match sights on it that's a dream to shoot. Incredibly accurate.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    I know it's fun to shoot self-loading rimfires, but to me the bolt action really connects me to the act of shooting more so than using a self-load. I suppose it's related to the pace of the shooting where you're shooting just one shot at a time instead of knowing you're going to be doing many more with just a press of the trigger.

I can work the bolt pretty fast, but the actual shooting is far more deliberate for me when I use my CZ 452 Scout. Perhaps that's why 200 rounds feels like a lot of shooting to me, because I spend so much mental effort on each shot. I realize I could do exactly the same thing with a self-loader, but it just wouldn't feel the same to me.
    Precisely why I enjoy competitive smallbore prone shooting. It is very mentally demanding.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast