Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Words of advice from an AR dealer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I took a local gun dealer a printed copy of The Chart after a long conversation with him about the differences between different AR-15 manufacturers. It's not that he didn't believe me or whatever, he was just of the opinion that Stags and Bushmasters were excellent AR-15's and with the more expensive ones you are just buying the name. He has since started trying to convince people of the superiority of S&W and DD AR-15's.

It takes a special kind of bullheadedness to stare empirical evidence in the face and call it BS. It's one of the reasons I like buying stuff from him--he knows a lot, but still realizes there are things he doesn't know and is willing to change his worldview given appropriate evidence.
    Last edited by stifled; 10-18-10 at 13:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBears_85 View Post
    And if you're reading this you're already on the right path, as there's an unbelievable amount of knowledge on this board. Think of it as a one-stop shopping center for anything AR related. Don't waste your time with ARFcom or the likes.

...One last thing, consider yourself lucky you found M4C before you you found ARFcom. That's all I have.

Great post Grant, this should be stickied.
    i actually started at arfcom first.... but worked my way over to here because the information always seemed more factual and not as subjective/opinionated. plus people here don't have every inch of rail on their guns filled with useless accessories, if ya know what i mean. glad i found this site.

also, used info here to build my first ar, rainer arms 18" spr type-ish rifle. great info here, i tell ya.

Feedback Score
    Good info. I work part time behind a gun counter and with first time buyers of both pistols and AR rifles I get the "Which one should I buy" or "Which one is best" line. I always give the same answer, "What are you going to do with it?" It's amazing how many people have to stop and think about it.

I regularly refer AR shoppers to the chart and this site to do research when they are deciding what brand to go with. I also tell them to spend money on ammo and training before spending money on accessories.

If they come in with their mind made up, I will take their money and give them what they ask for regardless of if I think they need it, but if the ask my advice I try to steer them in the right direction and get them the info to let them make an informed decision rather then just telling them what to buy. On the handgun side, I get a warm fuzzy feeling when a couple comes in to get a J Frame revolver or PPK or Kahr as "the little lady's" first gun to use for learning to shoot and for home defense and 45 minutes later she is filling out the paperwork to buy a G19 or M&P 9mm. Especially since they are not buying it because "the guy at the store said it was best", but because they were educated and made their own decision that it was a better choice for their purpose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    On the handgun side, I get a warm fuzzy feeling when a couple comes in to get a J Frame revolver or PPK or Kahr as "the little lady's" first gun to use for learning to shoot and for home defense and 45 minutes later she is filling out the paperwork to buy a G19 or M&P 9mm. Especially since they are not buying it because "the guy at the store said it was best", but because they were educated and made their own decision that it was a better choice for their purpose.
    I get a warm fuzzy feeling thinking about when a couple comes in to get a Glock 19 or M&P 9mm for "the little lady", and the guy at the gun store realizes she has no interest in putting the time in to learn to run a semi auto, and suggests the J frame with 148 grain wadcutters instead......

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    I get a warm fuzzy feeling thinking about when a couple comes in to get a Glock 19 or M&P 9mm for "the little lady", and the guy at the gun store realizes she has no interest in putting the time in to learn to run a semi auto, and suggests the J frame with 148 grain wadcutters instead......
    THIS! I work part-time behind the counter too. (But maybe at least Gold Dots instead of the wadcutters)

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    3. Avoid buying components that your not sure if you need or even want on the gun (vertical grips, bipods, lasers, lights, etc).

Would this be considered to much?

Anyway-
    This is one of those things I wish I had read three years ago. In fact I wish I had found this whole site back then... better late then never, I guess.
    On a side note about #6- In my recent searches for parts and rifles from companies like DD/BCM/etc., I have come across this over and over again- only one dealer in my area actually knew what I was even talking about.
    Is it just me, or do the dealers not only not know, but don't care either? One in particular pretty much blew me off, stating that there's "no market for those brands"...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    THIS! I work part-time behind the counter too. (But maybe at least Gold Dots instead of the wadcutters)
    If they're not going to put the time in to learn to shoot, the wadcutters are still pretty effective, with low recoil. They actually penetrate deeper than any of the hollow points, they just don't expand much, if at all. Beats any .380 or .32 load all to heck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12