Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this now the best all around defensive .223 round?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Is this now the best all around defensive .223 round?

Before we start, I have hoarded, shot and done research on the following loads:

BH's MK 262
    Hornady T2 TAP
    Federal MK 318

All of the above ammo is 5.56 NATO.

Recently, I had a conversation with a friend about defensive ammo choices. This person brought up the idea that 5.56 ammo might not be the best ALL AROUND best choice. Why I asked? Simple. Not all AR's are chambered in 5.56. More importantly, a lot of AR's SAY that they are 5.56, but are actually not.

So which round does well when fired through barriers and directly into tissue? Which round will feed well in both 5.56 and .223 chambered AR's? Which round is capable of producing under 1MOA accuracy with either a 1/9 or 1/7 twist AR? Which round is reasonable in price and can be purchased by civilians?

Don't know? Me neither. My thought though is that the SPEER LE 64gr Gold Dot (24448) comes closer than any other.

Opinions?

C4

Pic courtesy DocGkR

Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-20-10 at 12:02.

Feedback Score
    Do you think the barrier penetration is needed for a defensive round?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    no dog in this fight but I have several le compadres who give me the winnie 64gr power point ranger to play with.

I have had some good results with hogs but know nothing of the real ballistics.

Never shot it in the 1/9 but is right at moa with the 1/7 & 1/8...just throwing this round out there cuz i know it's in service.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Do you think the barrier penetration is needed for a defensive round?
    Yes. More so for LE than Civy though.

C4

Feedback Score
    Thanks,

My concerns (civ) are over penetration

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Me personally, I want the absolute best performing round I can get in my defensive weapons. I dont care about the 99% of the time I wont need barrier penetration should I have to use the weapon, I care about the 1% of the time I do, especially if I dont have it.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    no dog in this fight but I have several le compadres who give me the winnie 64gr power point ranger to play with.

Never shot it in the 1/9 but is right at moa with the 1/7 & 1/8...just throwing this round out there cuz i know it's in service.
    The 64 grain Powerpoint's been around for a long, long, time. I've shot thousands of round of it, and in the day, it was considered top stuff. Winchester, Federal, Speer, and Remington, all make better rounds today.

Feedback Score
    I've generally avoided exposed lead tip bullets in my ARs due reports of feeding problems over time. I believe this is covered in Dr Roberts thread on the best 223/5.56 loads, and is attributed to lead accumulation on the feed ramps.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post

The Winchester 64gr Ranger is an excellent round. Just one issue. It is generally VERY hard to get.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Overide View Post
    Me personally, I want the absolute best performing round I can get in my defensive weapons. I dont care about the 99% of the time I wont need barrier penetration should I have to use the weapon, I care about the 1% of the time I do, especially if I dont have it.
    Agree. Someone made the comment to me that if you are at your home and someone pulls up in a car and either starts shooting at your or attempts to abduct your child, you will want a round that does well through glass.

C4

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast