Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this now the best all around defensive .223 round?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The Winchester 64gr Ranger is an excellent round. Just one issue. It is generally VERY hard to get.

C4
    The 64 grain Powerpoint, like most older conventional soft points, is great for shooting small statured naked people, who've already gotten out of their car.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    I've generally avoided exposed lead tip bullets in my ARs due reports of feeding problems over time. I believe this is covered in Dr Roberts thread on the best 223/5.56 loads, and is attributed to lead accumulation on the feed ramps.
    With the SPEER 24448 instance, there really isn't any lead exposed.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    The 64 grain Powerpoint, like most older conventional soft points, is great for shooting small statured naked people, who've already gotten out of their car.

So do I have to weigh them before I shoot them?

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Do you think the barrier penetration is needed for a defensive round?
    Only when it is......

Understand, we're not just talking about whether a projectile will put a hole through a barrier, it's how it will perform after it goes through that barrier, (glass, wallboard, light sheet metal, etc.)

Feedback Score

So do I have to weigh them before I shoot them?

C4
    Nah.... a simple bodyfat caliper test will suffice.......

Feedback Score
    Agree. Someone made the comment to me that if you are at your home and someone pulls up in a car and either starts shooting at your or attempts to abduct your child, you will want a round that does well through glass.

C4
    Good example. And again, for those who don't understand what you mean, it's not whether the round will go through the glass, it's whether the round will retain enough performance to do more than piss the bad guy off, or whether it will deflect so much you'll actually hit your own child.
    Last edited by Jake'sDad; 10-16-10 at 08:37.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    Good example. And again, for those who don't understand what you mean, it's not whether the round will go through the glass, it's whether the round will retain enough performance to do more than piss the bad guy off, or whether it will deflect so much you'll actually hit your own child.
    Right. I don't think people understand how much a bullet can change course after it goes through something like glass.

C4

Feedback Score
    thanks grant for the info on the speer gold dot,i have a 30 round mag loaded with the le 5.56 and the le 223 gold dot,witch one do you recomemd,i am shooting a bcm with a 14.5 barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am curious to know how much the angle of impact would impact deflection after going through an obstacle.

For example: If we take C4IGrant's scenario, the street level at my place is about 5 feet below the level of my house. So, the shot would already be downhill. How much would the downward angle of impact affect the direction of the bullet after impact?

Naturally, I wouldn't begin to think a specific answer could be given. I am just curious if the angle of impact affects the deflection.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC Nubby View Post
    I am just curious if the angle of impact affects the deflection.
    Absolutely! The closer to perpendicular the less deflection for that axis.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast