Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACOG for AR10

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

ACOG for AR10

Which ACOG varient would be best suited for a 16" AR10 carbine? I would want it to be capable of excellent target accuracy out to 600m.
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 10-16-10 at 01:10.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Look at the 11 series, they have "generous" eye relief and BDC's for the .308. They are bigger, but beats scope eye if you don't mount the gun right.

Take a look at the NF 1-4 also, will give you options in regards to use.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I use a TA11H-308

With 175gr and zeroing it at 175m It stays closer than 1moa to all the drop lines out to 1200m

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Wow, with the prices the ACOGs are running at now, they are approx. the same as a Nightforce! So, which would you think would be best? My main use for this would be my club's modified Long Range Tactical match, which shoots at silhouettes out to 600m.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    I shot the 2.5-10 Night force on top of a Larue OBR that USMC03 was nice enough to let me shoot. That is a nice scope for the rifle. Neither ACOG or 2.5-10 is the best for close up, and if going with the Nightforce I'd go with the 2.5-10 over the 1-4, if it really is going to be a longer range rifle. Add in a red dot for close in shots. I do have the TA11 for my JP upper and I do like it, but you are right they are getting expensive.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 10-16-10 at 12:50.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Wow, with the prices the ACOGs are running at now, they are approx. the same as a Nightforce! So, which would you think would be best? My main use for this would be my club's modified Long Range Tactical match, which shoots at silhouettes out to 600m.

Yeah they have certainly jumped way up in price the last few years or around the time the mil started buying tons of them for Afghanistan.

I bought my first one in 2005, and that same model today is almost 400 more than what I paid.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting post as I am looking into grabbing an ACOG for my MWS. I have a TA11H on my noveske recce and like it a lot, but out to 600m would be pushing it from my experience. I am taking a long hard look at picking up a TA55A for that extra magnification. I have never looked through one as they are pretty rare, but I have read a lot of good things about them. The light gathering abilities and clarity of the reticle, along with usable BAC are things that appeal to me. I also have a 2.5-10 NF with LV ret that I am considering getting rid of for the TA55A. Its a nice scope for sure, but for close up, the 2.5 setting is pitful for me. Ive read the BAC on the TA55A is on par or better than the TA31 which is 4x compared to 5.5x for the TA55A. The only issue I am having is finding an accurate, common round to match the BDC on the TA55A. I called Trijicon about this yesterday and was told it was set up for a 22" barrel, 2651fps, 175gr, and just over .500 bc.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    For the range your shooting and the goal of target accuracy and an ACOG, I'd have to say go with the 648 and find a reticle that will work for you. I have a TA55, great scope--very large and heavy. TA648 is more compact. TA55 light gathering is amazing. For fixed power scope that might see night usage without Night Vision, I don't think there is anything better for any amount of money (and thats comparing to S&B PMII 10x which was my previous benchmark)

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...6&categoryID=3

Reticle will still be way off on the BDC, but definitely possible to relearn.

For target shooting only applications in daylight on a range, I would pick something that would be more dedicated to that pursuit. 10-12x is going to bring that target up to you nicely.

My "for the money" recommendation would be to look at the Vortex Razor options. They are both excellent scopes for their magnification ranges. I have a 1-4 with the EBR556 reticle and the 5-20 with a the EBR 1 reticle. Both are fantastic scopes and I'd put them on par optically with S&B and Zeiss Diavaris. The 5-20 would definitely take lack of magnification as an issue out of the equation for you.

There is also a steal of a deal on the Vortex Viper 1-7 with C3 reticle on SWFA right now. I bought several

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-...pe-P11227.aspx

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    For the range your shooting and the goal of target accuracy and an ACOG, I'd have to say go with the 648 and find a reticle that will work for you. I have a TA55, great scope--very large and heavy. TA648 is more compact. TA55 light gathering is amazing.
    I asked Trijicon about the TA648 on rifles, and they told me it was made for machine guns and the guys there always laugh when they see them on rifles and carbines because its not what it was made for. He was laughing and said it was like putting a brick on your receiver, lol. I realize the TA55 is no lightweight either, but the way Trijicon spoke to me about it I would stay away from it, unless if it going on a M249 or M240 lol.

Ryan can you tell us more about your TA55? I need to chrono some loads and see how they would match up with the TA55A's BDC. Seems 155gr TAP fits almost perfectly on Hornadys ballistic calculator out to 600y.
    Last edited by lj_1187; 10-16-10 at 17:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lj_1187 View Post
    I asked Trijicon about the TA648 on rifles, and they told me it was made for machine guns and the guys there always laugh when they see them on rifles and carbines because its not what it was made for. He was laughing and said it was like putting a brick on your receiver, lol. I realize the TA55 is no lightweight either, but the way Trijicon spoke to me about it I would stay away from it, unless if it going on a M249 or M240 lol.

Ryan can you tell us more about your TA55? I need to chrono some loads and see how they would match up with the TA55A's BDC. Seems 155gr TAP fits almost perfectly on Hornadys ballistic calculator out to 600y.
    Hmm why would that be a problem just wondering? I have seen a bunch of TA-11 on rifles and they are listed as a MG optic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast