Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ACOG for AR10

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    0-75 its a little harder to find/engage. The higher magnification of the optic comes into play and you have to use the BAC system. Fortunately, BAC works for me. I'd almost say it BAC seems to work better on the 5.5 mag because it really forces you to use the system because you can't shift your focus as easily vs. the lower magnifcation ACOGs. That said, I'm still not a BAC fan-boy, but it is a workable solution to a problem. You should be able to consistenly hit man-sized targets at that range without a lot of additional training on the optic. It does not track like a red dot/holosight, if your trying to hit man-sized MOVING targets at close range this would not be your best choice.

At 500, I can't say anything negative about the optic. My groups are far more ammo/barrel/shooter dependent than the scope. It is nice to have higher magnification at that range, but there is nothing wrong with 5.5 either. I wasn't setup to really measure how big my groups were last time out, on a silhouette target, I was keeping most of my shots in the black without a problem using M118LR--and that's all I was trying to do.

That said, I have a leupold on a mod1 that I am able to do a much better job of keeping a tighter group--but thats' because 10x puts me that much closer so I have more granular control of where I intend to punch holes. I'm no Matt Quigley, for me having the extra magnification is definitely an asset when it comes down getting strict with shot placement.

It all comes back to what you want to do with the rifle/scope/system. TA55 is an ultra-durable optic that puts you a little closer to the target than the 4x models and works well at night. I would say that is the buy/don't buy point of this scope. If you aren't going to use it low-light, I don't see a justification vs. the trade-offs in size/weight/cost.

Its not night vision, don't let anyone tell you that. But I think its as good as your going to get without an electro-optical system. I haven't looked through the Hensoldt/Zeiss with 72mm objective as a comparison, but I hear that is also incredible low-light (also around $4K)

If I could only have one rifle to do everything--I would seriously consider the TA55 with a solid lever mount (Bobro or LaRue) and a good set of irons.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Wow, with the prices the ACOGs are running at now, they are approx. the same as a Nightforce! So, which would you think would be best? My main use for this would be my club's modified Long Range Tactical match, which shoots at silhouettes out to 600m.
    For that, I may consider the NF 2.5-10 with mildot. ---get the zero stop, you will be glad. Make a range card for various distances, every 50 yards, know the wind holds. Know your come ups and holdovers. You can do the same with the 1-4 mildot as well and will have close range ability.

Don't "waste money"on a limited use scope. I would go with the 1-4 that way you can use it for close range and hunting also.

I have the 1-4 with CQB reticle and have a little pictogram chart inside the scope cover, I also know them also. It's good to 500 with that reticle, so you would need the mildot.
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 10-17-10 at 05:55.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for all the great TA55 feedback Ryan. I think the only thing stopping me from picking one up and trying it out is the BDC. I was told by trijicon it was calibrated for 2651fps, 175gr with around .500 bc. Do you know the barrel length it is made for? I ask because I will be using a 16'' barrel. A none match with the BDC will be a deal breaker as I want to use it out to 600y

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I believe they made it with the M1A/M14 standard profile barrel in mind. BDC is close enough for M80 and M118LR with a 22" barrel. I'm not sure how it well it would work with a 16". You'd definitely have to re-learn the BDC. That is not as bad as it sounds. At 600 I think you'd just have to compensate for the extra drop from lack of velocity. Where it would really start to fail you would be past 800, all the lines after that would not even qualify as suggestions. I'd almost bet that you could use the 7 line for your 6 though. I'm going to have to try this with a SCAR and see what happens.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...5&categoryID=3

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lj_1187 View Post
    TA648, it just looks like a MGO. They are 36oz, lol. .
    A guy handed his me a 16" AR15 with MGO ACOG on it. I think I tore my bicep muscle holding the thing. But I gotta give the guy credit for his enthusiasm.

Feedback Score
    How far off would you be if a TA33 with BDC for .223 was used on a 16in 7.62 OBR? For example, assuming the tip of the chevron was zeroed at 100, how far would off would the 25/300 line or the 400 hash be at those respective distances?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123