Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PRS or UBR?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

PRS or UBR?

Which stock do you think is best suited to a precision rifle build- the PRS, or the UBR?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    PRS but YMMV
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    16"-18"....UBR

20" + ......PRS

imho

Feedback Score
    IMO:

If the rifle will only be used for long range goodness, PRS.

If there's a decent chance for some 'up close' work or anything where the rifle will be used much like a traditional carbine, I'd go with a UBR.

Just what I think.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    16"-18"....UBR

20" + ......PRS

imho
    This is my rule of thumb.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I actually have an 18" SPR type of rifle with a PRS on it right now, but am not convinced it was the best choice. I wanted to get some opinions on this before I went through the trouble of switching it out.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess I'm alone on this, but I personally find the PRS to be Magpul's most useless stock. Now, that's not to say it isn't well made, because it is, but from my experience it just doesn't fit the role it was designed for very well.

To begin, the stock just by itself comes in just under 2lbs. That's a lot of excess weight to put on your gun. My next beef with it is the adjustable comb. While nice, I don't really find it necessary or useful for the majority of AR mount and optic combinations. On top of that, the comb is so far back in order for the charging handle to clear that it overshoots most scopes with 2-3" of eye relief. The comb also makes it so that, in my experience, you need to fully or almost fully extend the adjustable length of pull to get a comfortable stock and cheek weld that doesn't feel cramped. Next up is the sling mounting options. All you get is a a single slot that really doesn't seem too useful for the types of slings that are out and in use right now. There are, however, aftermarket sling studs that can replace it.

Overall, I'm not too impressed with them, and I don't think I'd use another. The one thing I can say positive is that, as typical of Magpul, the quality is great. And if you plan to use a monopod, this stock definitely would be a wise choice. Beyond that, I find that it's too heavy and doesn't fit the role that it's meant for as well as it could or should.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Love the PRS--also take a look at the ACE Hammer. Has an adjustable cheek piece plus its a collapsible stock. The buffer tube for the hammer is built like a king tiger tank. It's designed to be used to bust doors (when fully collapsed)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
    I guess I'm alone on this, but I personally find the PRS to be Magpul's most useless stock. To begin, the stock just by itself comes in just under 2lbs. That's a lot of excess weight to put on your gun.
    The UBR weighs pretty much the same.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
    I guess I'm alone on this, but I personally find the PRS to be Magpul's most useless stock. Now, that's not to say it isn't well made, because it is, but from my experience it just doesn't fit the role it was designed for very well.

To begin, the stock just by itself comes in just under 2lbs. That's a lot of excess weight to put on your gun. My next beef with it is the adjustable comb. While nice, I don't really find it necessary or useful for the majority of AR mount and optic combinations. On top of that, the comb is so far back in order for the charging handle to clear that it overshoots most scopes with 2-3" of eye relief. The comb also makes it so that, in my experience, you need to fully or almost fully extend the adjustable length of pull to get a comfortable stock and cheek weld that doesn't feel cramped. Next up is the sling mounting options. All you get is a a single slot that really doesn't seem too useful for the types of slings that are out and in use right now. There are, however, aftermarket sling studs that can replace it.

Overall, I'm not too impressed with them, and I don't think I'd use another. The one thing I can say positive is that, as typical of Magpul, the quality is great. And if you plan to use a monopod, this stock definitely would be a wise choice. Beyond that, I find that it's too heavy and doesn't fit the role that it's meant for as well as it could or should.
    not alone. I don't care for them after a couple years of use now. Still love the M93b, CTR and UBRs though.

My biggest beef with them is the sling attachment sucks. If it had a flush cup like the UBR it would be so much better. That aluminum loop is useless for any traditional shooting sling like a 1907, and it makes left/right hand switching a total PITA for any other type of sling. Could just be me though.

I like/want the adjustable cheek piece though. I agree with you that there's a lot of room for improvement there though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast