Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PRS or UBR?

Feedback Score
    Have both, prefer the UBR.

The PRS is a nifty stock, but it seems more made for a bench rest rifle with all the adjustments and whatnot.

If I was going with a new build or a replacement for an existing stock I'd lean toward the UBR.
    Keep your powder dry.

M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I am a tactical marketing professional. PM for details.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I prefer the PRS on anything thats 18 inchs or longer, and the UBR or something else collapsable on anything shorter.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
    In this lowly M4Cer's opinion, I would think the PRS on a .308 AR is even more of a mistake. .308 ARs already get quite heavy with the bells and whistles on them, and adding the weight of a PRS makes my arms tired just thinkin' about it. On a somewhat, but somewhat not related note, LaRue is apparently coming out with a cheek riser for CTRs and other carbine stocks. May be the solution that a lot of people are looking for to keep weight down and retain the flexibility and "adjustability" of a carbine stock while having something a little more scope friendly.
    Exactly. A PRS is heavy, adding that on to the weight of a .308 is even more dead weight. If all you are going to do is bench it or shoot prone, then go for it. Once you actually have to pick up and move the .308 and start shooting it kneeling, standing, etc. then it becomes a hinderance. It does nothing that a 16" .308 with a collapsible stock of your choice can't do.

Anyone need a FDE PRS for a .308??? mine is already off my rifle. Sometimes good design/implementation doesn't mean anything when it meets reality.
    Last edited by USMC_Anglico; 11-19-10 at 18:11.
    SF

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    For me, the PRS doesn't feel or look right on a shorter/lighter weapon. The UBR on my AR feels great, but my friends with the PRS just didn't do it for me.

I do like how the PRS on my 20" .308 with bi-pod and a high scope mount feels.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I went through a lot of coa's when I built my DMR before I decided to go with a A1 stock. Key in those choices was it being a carry all day and night design. In the end my rifle intialy came in at just over 10 lbs. I'll try to check the weight again now that I made some changes.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    Have you considered the Vltor A5 Emod stock for your precision rifle?

There's a thread in the AR General Discussion forum caled "M16A5 Stock by Vltor" about it. I bought one recently on the advice of Bravo Company for the precision rifle I'm very slowly putting together.

Last edited by DTHN2LGS; 12-04-10 at 13:37. Reason: To get forum name correct.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I think anytime you're making a dedicated precision rig the PRS wins hands down. Albeit heavy, but does have the features that you'd need to make a consistent sight picture. JMO, YMMV.
    Your wife is like a new gun... sooner or later you are going to want to shoot them both.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hello

The PRS

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TANGO2072 View Post
    I have to say that I've always been a fan of the SR-25 and MK12 SPR style platforms....
    SO why hasnt anyone, yet built a 762 ver of the MK12 yet.
    My all time Fav pic;
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/SPRCrane.jpg

This is where I'd go w/ my AR-10.
    DAM, now it's time to redirect some funding behind HH6.
    [thread hijack]IMO, I think the SR-25 EMC (and the previous SR-25 Battle Rifles) family is very close to that:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=41

16" vs. 18" barrel, but still has enough punch to get the job done. I do agree though, the Mk12 was a rifle that caught my attention very early when I started building AR-15s. I'll get my Mk12-ish build done eventually, though I'll be using a UBR instead of a SOPMOD (personal preference).[/hijack]
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikTaylor View Post
    I think anytime you're making a dedicated precision rig the PRS wins hands down. Albeit heavy, but does have the features that you'd need to make a consistent sight picture. JMO, YMMV.
    I'm beginning to think so too. I originally had an A1 stock on my SPR, but I put a PRS on to see if it balanced better. It made the rifle heavier, yes, but I found that I needed the cheek riser to get the best cheek weld.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast