Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone go to the LaRue Range Day?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

Anyone go to the LaRue Range Day?

I think they had way more people than anticipated show up, and there were huge lines for everything. Since I was already feeling a bit sick my dad and I walked around for about 45 minutes, and left without buying or shooting anything.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    left without buying or shooting anything.
    Same here - what a zoo!

Edited to add: It did, however, give me a chance to talk to the owner and see the range, which has several advantages over ARC where I am a member. In addition to the longer ranges, they will let use an action shooting bay by myself so I can practice transitions and run & gun, something I need a RSO at ARC to do.
    Last edited by austinN4; 10-17-10 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Was gonna go, but bailed when it became apparent it was gonna be a zoo. Cannot stand waiting in lines all day even for free stuff.

Feedback Score
    I was there with my son and a friend from work.We got there an hour early and were some of the first ones inside. We stood in one of the lines for over an hour to shoot and then went up to the vendors but it appeard that it was going to be a couple of hours wait so we didn't buy anything. It was very cool for Larue to put this on. It would have been great if all the people that showed up would have RSVP'd like they were asked then it would have been easier to coordinate. I talked to several of the employees and they were all amazed at the turn out and did a great job of trying to keep things moving along. We decided not to stay for the raffles. Congrats to whoever won the goodies!
    " Honesta Mors, Turpi Vita Potior!"
    http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14120.png

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Same here - what a zoo!

Edited to add: It did, however, give me a chance to talk to the owner and see the range, which has several advantages over ARC where I am a member. In addition to the longer ranges, they will let use an action shooting bay by myself so I can practice transitions and run & gun, something I need a RSO at ARC to do.

Yeah I love the range. I was a bit skeptical at first but they seemed to have ironed out the initial teething issues, and its a great place to shoot.

I don't like RO's hovering over you or being rude to people just because. At this point Ill refuse to go to Eagle Peak because I everytime I go there they are rude to people, no FMJ, and all you can do is shoot from the bench. They would have a seizure if people shot there like they are able to at BOTW.

As far as yesterday yeah Im not one for lines or crowds. I don't need to stand in line for 30 minutes to an hour just to shoot 5 rounds at a range I normally shoot at anyways.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That place was a zoo. Despite the long lines and sunburn on the back of my neck I’m glad I went. I didn’t win any of the drawings and they gave away some nice stuff. Some lady in her early twenties won the OBR with a Nightforce scope and Scout light.

They were definitely overwhelmed with the number or people that showed up but did a good job dealing with it.

I would liked if they had an area set up where the manufactures of the products used that day i.e., Aimpoint, Trijicon, and Surefire, could demonstrate and answer questions.

I was also curious about the range. It’s a little far for me to drive but I may have to try it out some time.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    That place was a zoo. Despite the long lines and sunburn on the back of my neck I’m glad I went. I didn’t win any of the drawings and they gave away some nice stuff. Some lady in her early twenties won the OBR with a Nightforce scope and Scout light.

They were definitely overwhelmed with the number or people that showed up but did a good job dealing with it.

I would liked if they had an area set up where the manufactures of the products used that day i.e., Aimpoint, Trijicon, and Surefire, could demonstrate and answer questions.

I was also curious about the range. It’s a little far for me to drive but I may have to try it out some time.

Yeah I was going to try to contact the Surefire rep about a loose lens in a Scout light, and decided not to since Id have to wait in line with people trying to buy stuff.

Still if one had some patience they could have had a nice day.

Im sure you'd enjoy the range as you could pretty much have a bay all to yourself to do drills or if you want to shoot the long stuff they don't have a bunch of retarded rules and range nazi's. As long as you are being safe and hitting the targets you can shoot however you want. Prone, standing, sitting, off the benches, ect.

To shoot at 500 you have to make 3 consecutive hits on a LaRue target at 250, to shoot 750 you do the same thing at 500, and for 1k you do that at 750. They just want to make sure people are actually able to hit what they are trying to shoot.

Its a little bit pricier than other ranges but nowhere else in CenTX has the range space, distance or laid back (but safe) facilities they offer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My grandpa and I went yesterday and got to shoot about three different rifles and overall had a real fun time.

I did score a free Pmag from Paul as he was driving around on his golf cart and then got a Geissele Super 3 Gun Trigger from the raffle! So it was well worth it in my book.

And I now have a new LaRue hat to wear around!

Feedback Score
    I went and got my complimentary lunch, LaRue calendar, and barbecue rub. Of course, LaRue also gave me a free mount earlier this year after I sent them a broken ARMS mount. Result is that they have actually spent more on me as a customer than I have spent with them as a vendor over the last year. Nice economics.

The lines were huge as they were overwhelmed by the amount of folks that showed up this year. Doors opened at 10:00 and by 11:00 they had already gone through over 1,000 range waivers! Despite this, I still had fun and appreciate the event. It was a pleasant surprise to see responsible looking people from all walks of life and families attending instead of typical gun show mullets everywhere. I wonder what the ammo bill runs for ~60 shooters running non-stop for 7 hours across 5-6 ranges!? The raffle prizes were awesome - too bad I didn't win the OBR lite decked out with Surefire/Nightforce gear. Maybe next year....

Feedback Score
    I made the trip out there with my step-son and a couple of friends. There was a lot of standing in line early, but after a long time in the vendor line and getting a bite to eat we went to the 1000 yd line and got to the front pretty fast despite the line.

After that the crowds started to thin out fast and we got through the lines in the tactical bays pretty fast and did a lot of shooting. The girl who won the rifle looked extremely happy.
    Last edited by Ric_Knight; 10-17-10 at 22:40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast