Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: B.O.V. pictures (interior and exterior)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
    I'll play . This is my '01 Tundra, it's been my daily driver since I bought it new almost 10 yrs ago. It's equipped with everything one would want for extended travel over just about any terrain it's pointed at. If an EMP event were to occur........my mountain bike would be my back-up . It has been kept simple with all parts readily available anywhere in the states, leaf springs on all 4 corners, low center of gravity, high-clearance under carriage (25"), Military full-float Corporate 14-bolt 1-ton rear axle, Dana 60 1-ton front axle, Atlas manual 4-speed transfer case, F&R air locking differentials, factory Toyota 4.7L V-8 and trans, upgraded cooling system, extended air intake and breather vents, on-board welder, on-board refrigerator/freezer, on-board water, dual batteries, Line-X'd floor pan, dual on-board air sources, 40" tires, bead lock wheels, 9,500# winch, tools, critical spare parts, and on and on and on........and it still averages around 15 MPG at 70 MPH on the interstate with 5.13 gears.

Exterior -

Interior -

That thing is just awesome. I think you scared off everyone else.
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah...... I could see myself bug'n out in that thing......I wish I hadn't traded off my 06 DC Tundra.

Nice ride
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    Impressive truck no doubt... for RECREATION. But a true BOV needs to HAUL GEAR and that spare takes up almost your whole bed... You won't be able to BUG OUT with much, or with that many people, as it is right now...

Rmpl
    We have done several 2-week cross country events in this truck and lived out of it......what gear would I need to bring along if I was going anywhere anyways.....we travel light . If I decide to move the entire contents of our house.......I'll rent a moving van .

The fridge can be removed in less than one minute because it's mounted on a quick-release mount, but there's plenty of space on top of it to pack items also. The cab has more space in it now than it did new, with most of the interior removed, including the rear seat.

Our bug out bag, supplies, and gear fit behind the drivers seat easily. If I was told to pack up and never come back right this minute, I could easily put everything I'd want to take inside the cab and also have plenty of space to stack things on top of the spare if I decide to.

We also have a large Thule weather-proof roof bag that can be either strapped down to the spare or put on top of the bed cage that would allow us to carry along any spare items we wanted to.....even though it's been sitting in my garage for 2 yrs now and has never been needed on any of our trips.

There's only 3 people in our house, so my truck fits our needs very well, maybe not yours, but to say it's not the ideal rig for us is a false statement. While I appreciate your comments and understand that it may not be the ideal vehicle for everyone out there, it is the perfect rig for us and I would not change a thing or pick any other vehicle to be my #1. Throw your bug-out rig up here and I'm sure I could come up with some things that would fit my taste......but if it works for you, then that's all that counts - right?

As far as keeping it simple, it is in deed built simple. I have the exact same GM 1/2-ton calipers and 3/4-ton rotors on all 4 corners, including the exact same brake hose length out to each caliper so I only have to carry one spare hose. Same 1350 1-ton u-joints & CV's on each drive shaft so I only need to carry one spare of each. I can find 99% of repair parts for this truck at any auto parts store in the states (on the shelf) and damn near any junk yard as well. Most all the electronics have been stripped out over the years and changed over to manual control (ie. transfer case, front hubs, 4WD computer removed, etc.).

Here's our truck fully packed on our last 2-week trip with our double tent cot in the back, this trip we drove from TN to SD, ND, MT, WY, CO, etc. We ran a mix of some of the hardest trails in the country, as well as 4,800 miles on the road -

Last edited by 01tundra; 11-01-10 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    Impressive truck no doubt... for RECREATION. But a true BOV needs to HAUL GEAR and that spare takes up almost your whole bed... You won't be able to BUG OUT with much, or with that many people, as it is right now...

Rmpl
    Out of curiosity, what is your current BOV? Care to share pictures?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigating Collapse View Post
    01Tundra: Give me some dirt on your CB install/config.

That is a battlewagon, for sure.
    I'm currently running a Cobra 75 WX CB with a tuned 60" Wilson antenna. I could definitely use a little more power on the radio end, but it works pretty good as it is.
    Last edited by 01tundra; 11-01-10 at 08:15.

Feedback Score
    Who did the cage ?

By the way nice ride.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Who did the cage ?

By the way nice ride.
    Thanks. Me and a friend who owns a 4WD shop in Gallatin, TN. It's 120 ft of 1.75" O.D. x .120" wall DOM w/ 6-point frame tie-in for the interior.
    Last edited by 01tundra; 11-01-10 at 09:13.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Me and a friend who owns a 4WD shop in Gallatin, TN. It's 120 ft of 1.75" O.D. x .120" wall DOM w/ 6-point frame tie-in for the interior.
    Cab still on factory body mounts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Cab still on factory body mounts?
    Yes sir, only some of the bolts have been upgraded to larger Grade 8.
    Last edited by 01tundra; 11-01-10 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    Yes sir, only some of the bolts have been upgraded to larger Grade 8.
    So no problem with cage and body rub?
    I ask because most of my background is in drag racing,different requirements than 4 wheeling but studying on the subject I see were it is recommended tie the cab to the cage.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast