Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: B.O.V. pictures (interior and exterior)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    So no problem with cage and body rub?
    I ask because most of my background is in drag racing,different requirements than 4 wheeling but studying on the subject I see were it is recommended tie the cab to the cage.
    No problems. The cab is mounted to the frame rigid through the "boatsides" we did under the rocker panels. With the boatsides and rear cage tie-ins, and all the extra cross members we added, the frame flex is minimized and on the road I get no noticable vibration translation into the cab.

Feedback Score
    I see

Feedback Score
    OK, enough about my piece of junk.

By the way, I didn't realize this was going to be a critique session on my truck, but it works for me, so it's all good.....different stroke for different folks .

Now let's see some other folks set up so we can all possibly pull ideas from one another .
    Last edited by 01tundra; 11-01-10 at 09:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I know where I'm headed with my DD Tacoma, but it's going to be much more of an urban BOV given my AO. I kind of wish I had sprung for the 4WD but didn't want to spend the money on something I'd only ever use in an outrageous situation.

For me I'm looking to add more in the way of storage than driving capability, so likely no lift or any of that stuff but will add a camper shell and some lockable types of storage in the bed, not to mention various compartments in the cab.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I know where I'm headed with my DD Tacoma, but it's going to be much more of an urban BOV given my AO. I kind of wish I had sprung for the 4WD but didn't want to spend the money on something I'd only ever use in an outrageous situation.

For me I'm looking to add more in the way of storage than driving capability, so likely no lift or any of that stuff but will add a camper shell and some lockable types of storage in the bed, not to mention various compartments in the cab.
    rob_s I would highly recommend you install a larger capacity self regulating trans cooler. All of them are too small it would be my first thing before anything else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    rob_s I would highly recommend you install a larger capacity self regulating trans cooler. All of them are too small it would be my first thing before anything else.
    If you're running an automatic transmission and planning on loading the truck down with weight it would be a good idea to upgrade the factory trans cooler.

I actually separated the factory engine coolant and transmission fluid system because Toyota's have been known for transmission cooler fittings inside the radiator failing and contaminating the engine coolant system. l also changed out the plastic radiator for an all-aluminum Mishimoto over-sized radiator. I've got two of the Tru-cool coolers in series for the transmission cooling system, and added an aux. electric cooling fan that operates automatically via an in-line temp sensor, as well as having a manual over-ride switch on the dash. Also running a skid plate to protect the bottom side of the transmission, Toyota left the factory radiator pretty exposed.

Adding a magnefine in-line filter is also a good idea .

If you ever do decide to add or change out a cooler, I've had a lot of luck with both IPT and Long Tru-Cool coolers -

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...er--180-1.html

http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm

Last edited by 01tundra; 11-01-10 at 11:43.

Feedback Score
    Hey rob_s - thought these seat covers and Quick-Fist clamps might interest you also. You can also add hydration packs to the seat covers. My buddy is running them in his Tacoma and they're pretty damn slick. I have the quick fist clamps bolted all over my truck inside and out for mounting various items, you can definitely get creative with them.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior-...813&t_pl=10101

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior-...13&t_pl=102152

http://www.endroad.com/page/page/711712.htm
    Last edited by 01tundra; 11-01-10 at 11:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great idea for a thread.

@Rob_S, might want to check out craigslist for a bed cap. Great deals available in all colors are not hard to find, just need to be patient.

My EDV/BOV:

Recently picked upgraded to a 2000 Tundra 4.7L V8. Automatic, 2wd, 130,000 miles, SR5 package, bench seat, dual flowmaster exhaust (+20HP). Had it cleaned up and serviced. Now its time to get it ready.

Completed Upgrades (all bed related):
    1. Color matched shell cover
    2. All weather dual gasket (for shell)
    3. Rubber non-slip bed mat

Next on the list:
    1. Quickfist for fire extinguisher & maglite
    2. Hi-Lift Jack
    3. Reinforced sidewall tires (when my tires need replacement)

@01Tundra -- nice ride! I have a few questions regarding suggestions you've made. I've read reports from Tundra owners via TundraSolutions forums that the Tundra 00-01 transmissions are a possible failure point. I'd like to take care of mine as much as possible.

Magnefine filter
    : This insures the power steering fluid and automatic transmission fluid is cleaned out? $16.00 part + 3 for mount..great price.

Long Tru Cooler
    Which parts are required?

Are either of these a difficult installation?

I welcome any and all advice or feedback on my BOV. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by John W; 11-11-10 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    @01Tundra I have a few questions regarding suggestions you've made. I've read reports from Tundra owners via TundraSolutions forums that the Tundra 00-01 transmissions are a possible failure point. I'd like to take care of mine as much as possible.

Magnefine filter
    : This insures the power steering fluid and automatic transmission fluid is cleaned out? $16.00 part + 3 for mount..great price.

Long Tru Cooler
    Which parts are required?

Are either of these a difficult installation?

I welcome any and all advice or feedback on my BOV. Thanks in advance!
    I have my Magnefine on the return side of the transmission cooler line (between the leaving side of the last cooler and the transmission. It just helps filter out debris caused by normal wear & tear, such as metal and fiber materials off the clutch packs, etc.

If you're going to keep the factory transmission cooler in the radiator, I would just mount a 18k GVW cooler downstream of the factory cooler in the bottom of your radiator and the transmission - http://www.importperformancetrans.co...4454-1898.html. Note: the Long coolers can be purchased from other vendors, the link is just to one that I've worked with.

The cooler should fit where they put the factory aux. cooler that comes with the tow package (on the passenger side in front of the radiator). That's how I used to run mine, I bought some 1" x 1/8" aluminum strap from Lowe's and made some mounting brackets. I would avoid using the zip ties that are supplied with the kit that are designed to run through the radiator, as vibration can cause the zip ties to wear through the radiator tubes and cause leaks. I always hard-mount any aux coolers.

The #1 enemy of any automatic transmission is heat.

I also installed a temperature sensor in the transmission pan and have a temperature gauge in the cab.

If you have some spare time on your hands you can find more info than you could ever want on my build thread over on TS - http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...dra-evolution/

Honestly, anybody with a truck, SUV, or any other heavier type vehicle with an automatic transmission can benefit from running an auxiliary cooler. It seems like the factories just don't put enough cooling capacity in anymore. Most of the time the "tow package" option will include a very small aux. cooler and most diesel trucks come factory with a large cooler.......for everyone else......the end up with the same size cooler that would come factory in a compact car stuck in the bottom of their radiator.
    Last edited by 01tundra; 11-01-10 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll play.

I don't have any interior pics, but I do have some "at play" pics.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast