Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you run your AR mags on your belt rounds forward or rear? Why?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanRider View Post
    Did someone say Beer
    Remember, when an officer asks you how many beers you had: "Two is one and one is none."

I run my AR mags about 8 o'clock which makes the beer can grip more anatomically correct for me as a right-hand dominant shooter and I find I'm able to get a more consistent seat into the magwell with the "beer can" grip.

Now, with pistol mags, which I run at 10:30, it's rounds forward and I think you'll find most of the folks on the forum will agree. It makes more sense when looking at it in terms of a speed reload where you use your index finger to find the magwell.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    what F2S said. i tried carbine mags on the belt both ways and found bullets-rear for the beercan grip to work best for me if the mags are at or behind the centerline of my hip.
    Ditto.

Thing with magazines, you only have two possible choices of direction, so you have a 50% chance of getting it right for you the first time!

Bullets to the right/primary arm on the vest, too, and for the same reasons as mentioned. Never thought about reversing one for an offside manipulation. Food for thought.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    AR and pistol mags = rounds facing forward. I 'index' grip all my mags.
    Last edited by liberty057; 10-28-10 at 08:47.

Feedback Score
    For me, it's easier to reload with my AR mag's to the rear.
    ...I WON"T BE THE VICTIM, BUT THE FIRST TO CAST A STONE...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rounds pointing to my rear, because I beer-can my mags. Back when I indexed them like pistol mags, I had them pointing forward. Now, not so much.

I don't usually run a chest rig, but when I do, I run them rounds pointing to the strong side (like pistol mags) because its easier to grab the exposed portion that way (I use bungies, not flaps) Still, due to the height involved, and the indexing grip, I think reloading from the chest rig is a bad idea, that's why mine is basically a glorified bandoleer.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

VMI-MO Guest
    I recently shot with some guys who ran their mags bullets pointed toward the deck. They used a single belt mounted mag pouch (blade-tech or similar kydex) in the small of their back with the mag extending out to their left with the rounds facing down. This enabled the use of a beer can grip. This setup prevented interference with armor, allowed for a very smooth reload and was not as bothersome while sitting.

I was originally skeptical to it falling out. After using this setup and jumping down stairs, through windows, falling off buildings and sprinting with out any mags coming out I am starting to become a believer.

PJ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VMI-MO View Post
    I recently shot with some guys who ran their mags bullets pointed toward the deck. They used a single belt mounted mag pouch (blade-tech or similar kydex) in the small of their back with the mag extending out to their left with the rounds facing down. This enabled the use of a beer can grip. This setup prevented interference with armor, allowed for a very smooth reload and was not as bothersome while sitting.

I was originally skeptical to it falling out. After using this setup and jumping down stairs, through windows, falling off buildings and sprinting with out any mags coming out I am starting to become a believer.

PJ

Placing bulky items like that in the small of your back isnt the smartest thing. In LE we tend to avoid putting anything back there in order to limit the chances of injuries occuring to this region in the event we fall on our backs.

VMI-MO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    Placing bulky items like that in the small of your back isnt the smartest thing. In LE we tend to avoid putting anything back there in order to limit the chances of injuries occuring to this region in the event we fall on our backs.
    I understand that, but given we (mil) usually run so much more shit off our backs that it mitigates some of this because you do not have just the one raised portion of where the mag is. Typically there is an assualt pack over armor, or at least pouches and an overstuffed camelback over your back which raises the profile over the magazine.

PJ

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I could see SOB as a way to clear armor, but from a pure speed perspective it seems like a very long way around. I don't think you could place the magazine further away from the gun than 180* around the body.

Would horizontal to the right of the belt buckle not be a better location to achieve the same goal of clearing armor? Hell, seems like that might be an interesting location even if not trying to clear armor as it would put it as close as possible to the gun.

VMI-MO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I could see SOB as a way to clear armor, but from a pure speed perspective it seems like a very long way around. I don't think you could place the magazine further away from the gun than 180* around the body.

Would horizontal to the right of the belt buckle not be a better location to achieve the same goal of clearing armor? Hell, seems like that might be an interesting location even if not trying to clear armor as it would put it as close as possible to the gun.
    If it is located at the 12 o'clock imagine going prone?

My placement is not at the 6oclcok but more 7oclock. When My hand drops down and back, the magazine is right there. I do not need to cant my wrist to accomodate the vertically oriented magazine which helps me atleast.

PJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast