Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 16" versus 18" for 3 Gun

Feedback Score

16" versus 18" for 3 Gun

I just recently shot the Ozark 3 Gun Championship in Missouri($300,000 prize table) , which was my first big match. It was a natural terrain match and a helluva good time BTW. I outperformed my expectations, but realized I still have a lot to learn about the sport. I shot a 16" carbine length rifle and for the most part shot well, I hit the 400m target, but FTN the 500m. Most shots with the rifle were from 150-250m, which leads to this question...I want to build a rifle for 3 gun matches but I can not decide if an 18" is really needed...I've heard both sides, so I am now reffering this question...I'm leaning towards a BCM or Noveske upper...Any help would be great...

Grant

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is really no down side to a 18" rifle length gas system. You can build a very soft shooting rifle with a adjustable gas block, lightened BCG and buffer. The rifle will transition as quickly as a 16". But if you can't hit it with a 16" barrel, then a 18" will not make the difference. Knowing your dope is crucial

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think most 3-gun guys go with an 18 inch with a rifle length gas system.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Im running a 16in BCM SS410 Midlength upper. Works very well for me. Had 2nd fastest time on the 300 yard targets last 3gun I shot, guy who beat me was using a 18in OPEN gun and only beat me by .01secs, Im running Tac Ops with a Burris XTR 1-4x24.

Heres my 3gun setup:

BCM 16in SS410 Mid-length
    Burris XTR 1-4x24 in LaRue SPR 1.5
    Battle Comp 1.0
    BCM BCG
    MagPul ACS
    H2 Buffer
    MagPul MOE Grip
    Troy TRX Extreme 13in

Shoots really smooth, and really fast. Only thing I want to change out is the Fire Control Group for a Geissle SSA or DMR
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 10-22-10 at 09:00.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you look at the Noveske shooting team 2 are using 17" guns and Rob is using a 16". I "think" Jansen said he was going to try out a 16" over the 17. Personally the NST from Noveske would be where I would start with a dedicated 3gun setup. Look at they're videos. They can shoot fast, but they definitely can shoot long!
    Last edited by M4Fundi; 10-23-10 at 07:05.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I like a 16" for anything inside of 500yds. After 500yds I like a 18-20" gun. Most stuff I shoot here on the east coast is under 400yds.

I use 16" BCM midlength SS410.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I like a 16" for anything inside of 500yds.

Thats what she said......

Sorry, had to do it..... lol

But I agree, 18in is, in my opinion, not needed for the distances you will typically shoot in a 3gun match. A good 16in Barrel from BCM, Noveske (ie BCM's SS410 line of barrels or Noveske's Stainless Steel barrels) will suit your needs.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    For a 3gun dedicated AR, I would go with 18" for the slightly higher velocity over a 16". Of course, barrel length itself has nothing to do with accuracy.

Some 55 grn ammo out of a 16" barrel will not have enough velocity to meet the power floor for minor PF. So, chrono your ammo to be sure. It's not like you are going to see a chrono stage at a major 3g match like you will at major pistol matches, but you never know.

Also, a little more velocity can help with reactive steel, in that the rounds hit a little harder and have more effect on target, making it easier for you or the RO to see hits.

If you're going to use 69s, 75s, 77s, etc you can overcome the lower velocity out of the 16" barrel, but that can get expensive. If you use 2 different loads, you'll want to know how this affects your holdovers. I zeroed a TA-11 for the 69s, which I used for steel at distance, and then I used 55 grn ball for paper targets. Was satisfied with the results.

Feedback Score
    Geez...now I'm confused...I've watched about every Noveske video I can find and got to watch Rob shoot in person (very impressive)...I think this topic is based again on who is asked...I am more comfortable shooting a 16" platform rifle and I'm about 90% certain I am going to go with a Noveske...However most guys I see shoot 18" guns...You guys are great on here BTW...Knowledge is power and I'm feeling more powerful everyday...

Grant

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have been using a 14.5 inch Noveske but I am moving to a 18 inch stainless rogue hunter from Noveske. I kept getting told by people at Brian Enos that 18 was the way to go so I am going to give it a try.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast